Flue temp and stove top temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjsplitter

Aug 22, 2009
breckenridge, MI
I have double wall stove pipe due to haveing it in a mobile home. They gave me a free temp gauge but it says for a single wall flue, do they make one for double wall and can I use the one I got for the stove top? It is a 3100 steptop quadra fire. Right now I just look at the flame and make sure it is bright and rolling.

Look at the website for condar probe thermometers. It is by far the most common probe meter used and I just recently installed one into my double wall stove pipe. More important than a flue thermometer is a stove thermometer, that meter that you currently have can be stuck right on the stove to measure the stove temp. Flue temp is not as important.

High beam by putting a probe in my flue will that cancel the warrenty? Thanks for all the help

I was willing to risk losing the warranty on a 150$ sectino of double wall to have an accurate flue gas temperature reading. Only simpson can answer this one but I'm sure their warranty would be void after the install.

You can use the provided thermometer on the stovetop. Just pay attention to the temperature and not the ranges (safe, unsafe) as they are meant for single-wall flue use.

Thank you for all the help. This site is unbelievable. A question pops in my head I write it down and boom the answer is right hear.

Welcome to the site CJ . . . and it's already been answered, but I'll say it again.

Yes . . . you would need a probe thermometer for double wall pipe. Simply attaching a magnetic thermometer to a double wall flue wouldn't give you accurate temps.

And yes . . . you can use the thermometer they gave you for use on the stove top.

Me, I like having both thermometers in both places. The stove top thermometer lets me know when I'm in my optimal burning zone and helps me from over-firing the stove. The probe thermometer lets me know when I've reached the temp where I'm burning hot enough to avoid most creosote production and when I'm getting to the point where I'm in danger of getting the chimney too hot and risk a chimney fire. Both of these thermometers together help me run the stove more efficiently and safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.