Flue temp control ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hyattpeters

Feb 1, 2009
P.E.I. Canada
Hi I'm planning to incorporate a fasco inducer blower to my wood boiler and what i am wondering is; is there some type of control that i can hook the fan up to so it will work off flue temp. For example, the boiler is calling for heat so the automatic draft is open so this will allow the fan motor to be on, but i don't want my stack temps to get too high. Once the stack temp hits the desired temp the fan will shut off and once it lowers, the fan will kick back on. But the automatic draft is still open and is controlled the same as it always was, to keep the fire going even if the induction fan is not running.once the boiler is up to temp the draft shuts and the blower motor will not start. and if the boiler is out of wood, and the temp falls, and the circulator pump shuts off, the fan will also shut off. Thanks in advance. (I'm not fortunate enough to have a gassifer like most of you here so i got to do what i can with what i got) Thanks again

Hi Hyattpeters; There is a controller called a Smart Fan Stratos. This is a single phase AC drive that will take thermometer inputs. You should be able to put one or 2 cartridge thermometers in the stove pipe & control the fan with this. I'm hoping this is a proportioning controller that I can keep the fan spinning with & hold flue gas at about 350 degrees with my Atmos. I need to check with the factory though. Good luck, Randy

Thanks Randy for your ideas what type of cartridge thermostats would you use, and any idea what kind of temps they can withstand. Do you have any idea on price of the smartfan control. If not i will contact the company. Any one else have any ideas how i could control this.Thanks

I believe the ones I used were good to at least 750 degrees farenheit. They came from WW Grainger(online also). The Smart Fan is about $180.00. You might be able to get by with just 2 thermostats if you are just switching the fan on & off. Hopefully someone with more electrical expertise can help you with this, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.