Flue tempature for Catalyst Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
Do you need to worry about the flue temperatures with a catalysts stove? I was just wondering since the catalyst burn most of the smoke. I have a 30" horizontal run to a 17' interior chimney that has a 6" flex liner with insulation inside a brick chimney. I have no problem with draft and I burn 24/7.

As long as they are burned properly I don't think you have to worry. Cat stoves seem to run cooler stack temps than non cats from what I've seen. All that is left as exhaust is co2 and water vapor, looks like white steam. I think most of my creosote is formed during the bypass mode and there isn't much since I burn it wide open for reloads til it takes off good, then move the air down to #1 for a few more minutes then engage the cat.

My temps run 200-300 external pipe 18" above stove and 500-650 stove top.

Our pipe temp runs about the same as Todd's or just slightly higher. I think you'll get a higher reading from the horizontal installation though. I just looked and right now it reads 320 degrees. The stove was loaded about 1/2 hour ago. Before loading, the pipe temp was below 250.

Status
Not open for further replies.