Flue temps for all exterior chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
I have approx 20+ ft of all exterior chimney with 1 45 on it. What should I have for a surface temp 18" above the stove on single wall black pipe? This puts me just below the 90 where it turns to double wall and then runs horizontal out through the thimble outside to a T and then up. I noticed a short icicle hanging from just below the cap tonight when I got home. My wife is home all day and is learning how to run the stove on her own and needs more of a # visual rather than reading the flames.
She was only loading a log at a time to not over heat the house. Which was definitely burning the stack to cool even though stove top was 500. I did notice Some logs seem to have a touch higher moisture.

In my opinion, the range shown on this condar unit is good. Although, I do occasionally go up to about 500 on startup, but do not cruise there.

51X2BK3QMiL._SY300_.jpg

I wasn't sure with an exterior chimney and my height if I should be keeping it hotter. What temps should I see while cruising? Should it stay in that range till the coal stage? Sorry for all the questions but I get a little nervous when I see an icicle hanging from the cap area in 20 degree weather.

One of the products of combustion is good old water. That'll happen on the cap from time to time. No worries.

For the active part of the burn and while it's cruising (holding steady) I find that things burn cleanly if I keep that pipe temp at 350 or up. Below that, I'll get some smoke out the chimney and I need to give things a touch more air to keep it a clean burn, glass on the stove clean, etc.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.