Flue temps with probe vs. surface temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All good advise it is 11 degrees and burning away again to stay warm will do the fab work to get this installed tomorrow time to burn some wood and heat the house right now. Stack thermometer tomorrow!

I found the rating of the duravent Plus 1000F continuous 1400 for an hour and 3 shots of going to 2100. So my next thought what temperature to try to stay above to avoid creosote?
could you point me in the direction of that intel? i looked all over the duravent spec sheet couldnt find it. thanks :)

Remember, to prevent creosote, you need to keep those temps over 212 all the way to the sky

So in order to maintain that level after your (I'm) in cat mode, do I add air to the mix? i measure with a Ryobi IR meter single wall 18" above stove and I just measured 250 degrees... BUT when i checked the connector where the single black wall meets the triple wall its 170. thats a problem then....

Reactions: dentman4411
Tried for a long burn but following the instructions with the stove of having a very nice bed of coals could only get 3 medium splits in before it lit off and not sticking my hand in there glove or not..

So in order to maintain that level after your (I'm) in cat mode, do I add air to the mix? i measure with a Ryobi IR meter single wall 18" above stove and I just measured 250 degrees... BUT when i checked the connector where the single black wall meets the triple wall its 170. thats a problem then....

For one, you're measuring outside temperatures, not the temperature of gasses going thru the chimney. Secondly, I suspect that in any tall chimney, there's almost always a portion at the top where gasses are going to condense on the wall. The evidence of that is the creosote you brush out each spring. It's an interesting discussion to keep us entertained on a cold night, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Usually run about 450-550 probe on cruse dropping down to 250-300 by reload time. Maybe 600-700 on start up, I try to keep it under 800 as by 800 is when it tries to take off. The numbers I get with the probe are approximately 1.5-4X surface readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.