Flue temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Franklink

Oct 21, 2016
Arizona
What are the relative flue temps of a modern tube stove vs modern cat stove vs old time smoke dragon without any secondary burn technology?

I'm not looking for exact temps here as I would assume there are too many variables (hardwood, softwood, stack height, firebox size, outdoor temp, OAK, etc, etc etc), just wondering which flue would generally see the highest and lowest temps. Ie. do the current epa stoves cause our flues to see hotter or lower temps than the stoves of yesteryear?

Thanks.

What are the relative flue temps of a modern tube stove vs modern cat stove vs old time smoke dragon without any secondary burn technology?

I'm not looking for exact temps here as I would assume there are too many variables (hardwood, softwood, stack height, firebox size, outdoor temp, OAK, etc, etc etc), just wondering which flue would generally see the highest and lowest temps. Ie. do the current epa stoves cause our flues to see hotter or lower temps than the stoves of yesteryear?

Thanks.
It depends entirely upon how they are run. But burnt correctly the old stoves will be hottest then tube stove then cat

I'm going to venture a guess that because modern stoves cannot be fully shot down air-wise, that given the same conditions the new stoves would maintain a higher minimum than an older stove that was shut too tight.

I'm going to venture a guess that because modern stoves cannot be fully shot down air-wise, that given the same conditions the new stoves would maintain a higher minimum than an older stove that was shut too tight.
Yes but running an old stove in that way would create massive amounts of creosote. New stoves can run cleanly at lower flue temps

Reactions: HomeinPA
Yes but running an old stove in that way would create massive amounts of creosote. New stoves can run cleanly at lower flue temps
Oh yeah, no argument there. That was kinda my point.

Reactions: bholler