Flue temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

retiredff

Jan 20, 2008
60 miles SE of Indy
I have read here the stove temps and pipe temps that some of you run your stoves. I bought a temp probe that goes into the flue. What flue temps should i shoot for?

Thanks

Depends on the stove and what part of the burn cycle one is in. But overall it's nice to keep it above the condensation point of wood vapors until the wood is in the charcoal stage.

If a magnetic thermometer is reading a pipe temp of 350 deg., does than mean the flue gas temps. are 700 deg. or so? The thermometer has scales on it and just wondered if I should go by them.

The stove is a Regency F2400 with double wall pipe to wall connection.

Thanks

For double wall pipe one has to use a probe thermometer to read the flue gas temps. 350 is a normal flue gas temp for your type stove. A magnetic thermometer is for single-wall pipe. If it is reading 350 on the double-wall surface, I think you have a problem. It's ok for use on the stove top however and 350 would be a somewhat low reading.

retiredff said:
I have read here the stove temps and pipe temps that some of you run your stoves. I bought a temp probe that goes into the flue. What flue temps should i shoot for?

Thanks

BG is on the money.

To simplify, I don't pay a heck of a lot of attention to the scale on those thermo's. I typically shoot to maintain 300+ in the stack (note: in the stack, not surface). That keeps the dreaded creosote to a min. During an initial start up, my stack temp will hit 700+ and then I start to tune the stove back and the pipe temps follow accordingly.

Draft, stove, wood will all make a difference in stack temp. The idea is to get 'er up to temp, run it on the hot side for a bit, then tune the stove down, yet keep the stack in the safe zone. Piece of cake.

I have found that the surface temp is roughly half of the internal temp on the stack give or take 100 degree. On my stove a 300 external temp reads 600 internal, and thats where she runs with a full load and a 500-600 stove top temp.

Yep, that's why I said depends on the stove. Cat stoves and some downdraft stoves seem to run at higher stack temps than conventional updraft, non-cat stoves.

Thats what I bought was a probe type thermometer for double wall pipe. I was not sure of the temps to run the stove at.

Thanks for the info

BeGreen said:
Yep, that's why I said depends on the stove. Cat stoves and some downdraft stoves seem to run at higher stack temps than conventional updraft, non-cat stoves.

Hmm, I thought it was the oposite, all my previous noncats ran higher stack temps than my cat? What about your T-6?

So far the T6 seems to settle in at about 400 with a 550 stove top temp. But I haven't opened her up with a full load of wood yet. The Castine ran cooler with about 300 flue temp. It will be interesting to poll users here to see what flue temps they are seeing next winter. A while ago I seem to remember some VC cat owners were reporting a bit higher temps in the flue. It varies from stove to stove, wood load, and flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.