flue-thermo/syphin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixroses

Jan 31, 2008
alaska
Has anyone tried wrapping their flue with 3/4" copper pipe, with bottom of tank water into the bottom of spiral, exiting back to the bottom of the tank? Would there be a sufficient heat gain by thermo-syphin to be worth the effort? Seams that 300 degree stack temps would put some heat into the system?
Steve

Interestingly enough, even if you do gather enough heat to thermosyphon, the cost of the hardware and effort will not be worth the result, but you may draw enough heat from the flue to negatively affect the draft. I've wrapped a wood stove in the past and did not gather enough heat to make it worthwhile but it did cool the stove enough so that I was getting a lousy burn.

The Amish have a way to heat domestic water via their wood stoves using a thermo-siphoning method but from what I understand they just use a short section of pipe on their stove and the tank is elevated about two feet higher than the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.