Flue Thermometer Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcs2011

Apr 11, 2011
SC
From reading various posts it seems like a combination of a probe type thermometer in the flue pipe and a magnetic thermometer on the top of the stove would be a help in starting and maintaining a good burn in a wood stove.

Can someone recommend a brand and model for each?. I have read about the Condar probe. Is there others that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Pete

I find that most probes are decent...However Condar seem to be the most popular. I may try a new one this winter and compare it with my cheap $10 one. Just remember: they are a guide. The best way to tell if you're burning properly: clean glass, no smoke from the chimney (once the fire is going) and when you look down your chimney there's no buildup.

Happy burning!

Andrew

A little? I did ok with the Drolet surface thermometer that I picked up as a gift for my friend's Morso. Good to hear that their probe is doing well too.

I like my Condar thermometers . . . I cannot say for certain how accurate my Condar probe thermometer is without having a good way to measure it . . . but the Condar magnetic thermometer on my stove matches up to my IR thermometer reading . . . or at least very close.

firefighterjake said:
I like my Condar thermometers . . . I cannot say for certain how accurate my Condar probe thermometer is without having a good way to measure it . . . but the Condar magnetic thermometer on my stove matches up to my IR thermometer reading . . . or at least very close.

Thanks for your reply Jake.

I'm going to look at a new Jotul F500 Oslo today. How do you like yours?

Pete

scwoodman said:
firefighterjake said:

Pete

They'll have to pry my Oslo from my cold, dead hands. ;)

Actually, I love it . . . this will be Year 4 with the Oslo with zero issues. Heats up well and holds the heat for a decent amount of time. Near bullet-proof and it looks sharp. Occasionally, I find myself looking at those mighty pretty looking soapstone woodstoves, but then I realize that the Oslo has really met all my needs, wants and desires . . . perhaps the only thing I would have done differently is gone with the blue black "enamel" instead of the matte black paint.

Pluses include a decent size woodbox -- when I work with my buddy his firewood looks so small in length compared to my wood . . . good viewing window which many folks may not think about, but is nice . . . and a functional ash pan.

The only two negatives I've found . . . and they're pretty low on the negative side . . . a) you will want to buy a tube of graphite powder since eventually you will need to remove the doghouse around the air control to lube up the air control lever as it can get a bit sticky and b) the design is made so that this stove has a slightly annoying habit of having ash build up near the front door which will spill out on to the front ash lip if you use the front door -- a fix that is remedied by using the side door (although Jotul says you should not use the side door if you have a corner install.)

firefighterjake said:
scwoodman said:
firefighterjake said:

Pete

They'll have to pry my Oslo from my cold, dead hands. ;)

Actually, I love it . . . this will be Year 4 with the Oslo with zero issues. Heats up well and holds the heat for a decent amount of time. Near bullet-proof and it looks sharp. Occasionally, I find myself looking at those mighty pretty looking soapstone woodstoves, but then I realize that the Oslo has really met all my needs, wants and desires . . . perhaps the only thing I would have done differently is gone with the blue black "enamel" instead of the matte black paint.

Pluses include a decent size woodbox -- when I work with my buddy his firewood looks so small in length compared to my wood . . . good viewing window which many folks may not think about, but is nice . . . and a functional ash pan.

The only two negatives I've found . . . and they're pretty low on the negative side . . . a) you will want to buy a tube of graphite powder since eventually you will need to remove the doghouse around the air control to lube up the air control lever as it can get a bit sticky and b) the design is made so that this stove has a slightly annoying habit of having ash build up near the front door which will spill out on to the front ash lip if you use the front door -- a fix that is remedied by using the side door (although Jotul says you should not use the side door if you have a corner install.)

Hey Jake - Thanks for the great info re air control lever lube. I will load using side door, but for starting up will probably use front door. Don't think this will be a problem.
Going to order Oslo soon. Having installers coming to check setup (hearth, flue, etc.). I have an 8" SS liner in an existing brick/tile chimney. I think the 8" is going to be too large...but we'll see.
Thanks again for the input!!
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.