Flue thermometer that's not magnetic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
I have a Magnetic therm sitting on my stovetop because it will not stick to my pipe (connected up my fireplace by a short tee then full ss liner up the chimney). Is there one I can use or a trick to getting one to stick to the pipe/tee?

Thanks!
Mary

I think normally folks use a probe type thermo a foot or two from the stove top for their pipe......others will chime!

If your T is ss then no. Could use steel wire to hold it.

I have a condar flue probe on my carbon steel T. Reads higher right off the stove, but you get used to your specific range.

Most mag thermos have a hole in them, some directions say to use a safety screw. So you could also attach with a screw to.

I have both our stovepipe therms screwed on. I didn't want to risk them losing magnetism at a high temp and rolling around on the floor! And it keeps people from moving it around in the summer and scratching my stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.