Flue thermometer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creekheat

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2014
Ny
I asked this question in another thread but I thought I would be a little more broad.

Flue thermometer. Do you need one?

I have. A stovetop magnetic.

Jotul F55

I have a flue thermometer (probe style) as well as two magnetics (one the dealer included with the stove, the 2nd was a carry over from the Encore 1450 I replaced) on my F55 (one right corner, one left corner). I use the flue thermometer more than the stovetops to regulate the stove. With my stove, I find the "coldest" part of the stove is the back right corner. The stovetop can be merrily chugging along at 300-400 degrees and yet I'm venting 1000 degrees out of the flue. In part I think this is due to the way the stove is designed. Because the baffles stagger down towards the back, you end up stacking more wood towards the front of the stove, which is where the air flows up and out into the flue.

Keep in mind if you use double-wall stove pipe for reduced clearances you will probably have to use a probe-style, since the insulating nature of double-wall pipe means the exterior of the pipe is going to be significantly cooler than your actual flue temperature. Since I use double-wall pipe, this is why I use a probe-style:

color-face-flue-guard-stove-thermometer-0db.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought me a ChimGard™ Stovepipe Thermometer that you can either screw into the stovepipe (I did this) or hang with a wire. I have a Harmon Oakwood stove and I am finding it to be a handy tool. With my Harmon Oakwood the flue always reads a bit cooler than the stove itself. I find it challenging to get the flue over 200 degrees when I am quite sure the stove is over that temperature. I probably need to go ahead and get a stove top thermometer as well!

But I like the fact that I can monitor the flue temperature. Plus I am thinking it is a good safety feature.

I have been pushing the Auber digital flue thermometer on this forum since I bought it.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292
For $65. you get a probe, display unit and alarm. You can set the alarm at any temperature you want and the unit will warn you with a very loud beep when your flue is at or above the alarm level you have set.

When I first installed it on both my stoves, it has drastically altered the way we manage the stove - for the better. I found it very useful with a double wall stove pipe to know exactly what is going on. The readings are instant. I have had the alarm go off a few times when it appeared the stove was doing fine but was actually much hotter, so it can save potential stove/pipe/chimney damage.

Reactions: Creekheat
Another fan of the digital temp monitors, I put these together before the Auber ones were available.
One for flue temp and one for stove top temp.
As DougA says it make it much easier to run the stove, you can see exactly what the stove is doing.
When starting up I start closing the air control when the flue temp reaches 875::F.
You might be surprised just how fast the flue temp can rise to 1000::F( recommended high limit for class A) .
temp alamr1.JPG

Need a flue thermometer? No.

Is it handy to have a flue thermometer? Yes.

You technically don't need a gas gauge or speedometer on a car to actually drive it . . . just like you don't technically need a flue thermometer or stove thermometer to run your woodstove . . . but a gas gauge and speedometer sure are handy to let you know how fast you're going and how much fuel you have to you can avoid speeding or running out of fuel . . .

. . . and a flue thermometer and stove top thermometer sure are handy to let you know if you're running the stove at the optimal temps and if your flue is not too hot or too cool.

I have been pushing the Auber digital flue thermometer on this forum since I bought it.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292
For $65. you get a probe, display unit and alarm. You can set the alarm at any temperature you want and the unit will warn you with a very loud beep when your flue is at or above the alarm level you have set.

When I first installed it on both my stoves, it has drastically altered the way we manage the stove - for the better. I found it very useful with a double wall stove pipe to know exactly what is going on. The readings are instant. I have had the alarm go off a few times when it appeared the stove was doing fine but was actually much hotter, so it can save potential stove/pipe/chimney damage.

This looks really interesting. After you installed the probe into the chimney how did you attach it? With a screw and drill another hole? Power supply wires don't get to hot near/touching stove? Can you have a stove top and a flue probe hooked up at once? Looks very cool. I don't need one I suppose but I do like the idea of having one.

Status
Not open for further replies.