flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keeta11

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
putting in a wood furnace for the firsttime came to a problem i have 1flue and i have a gas hotwater tank can i vent both the wood stove and hotwater tank thru 1 flueor whats myoptions

keeta11 said:
putting in a wood furnace for the firsttime came to a problem i have 1flue and i have a gas hotwater tank can i vent both the wood stove and hotwater tank thru 1 flueor whats myoptions

I appliance per flue.
Is the hot water heater in the basement? Maybe go through the wall with a power vent.

keeta11 said:
how does a power vent operate a gas hot water tank

It doesn't operate the tank so to speak. It vents the exhaust with a power fan made for venting the unit.
I have one on my oil furnace. And it has safety features. As in, the furnace won't operate if the vent is not functioning properly.
Mine is in the basement and goes through the concrete side wall to the outside.
Of course I don't use the furnace much anymore. Just once in a while to make sure it works in case needed for back up.
You could always switch to electric hot water also.
I am not 100% positive they make a power vent for gas water heaters, but I would bet they do. Do some research.
If your lucky, someone on here has a similar set up with the power vent.

I don't know gas hot water heaters as I use electric.
May you can run a separate vent out the wall with out the power vent.
Hope someone chimes in,.
Good luck.

Insurance would choke on a wood appliance and a forced exhaust combined. I have a furnace and hot water heater in one flue but when I went to a wood furnace add on I had to have a separate chimney for the wood furnace. The major risk is creosote constricting air flow and causing the exhaust gases from the hot water heater filing the house with carbon monoxide and killing someone. Hogwildz suggestion to vent the hot water heater outside is probably your best approach as long as the chimney you are intending to use for the wood furnace is suitable for use with the wood furnace. You may want to put in a stainless steel liner for the chimney before you use it for exhausting wood gasses...Cave2k

Status
Not open for further replies.