Flush insert suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
We've pretty much decided that the best compromise will be a flush, wood-burning insert. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there.

The top contender at the moment is the Lopi Declaration. So here are two questions:

1) Other than faceplate options, is there any major difference between the Declaration, the Avalon Perfect Fit and the Fireplace Xtrordinair FPX 33 Elite? All are made by Travis, look about the same and have the same specs.

2) Is there any other insert or brand I should look at? Our house is a 2000 Sq ft Cape-Cod, built in '61, with the fireplace roughly in the middle of the living room (first floor). The current heat is oil boiler with baseboard radiators. It worked well, for the few winter months we were here last year, but costs $$$. I'd like to get most of our heat from wood, with the radiators as a backup. The above stoves seem to have the largest firebox (2.9 sq ft), by far, of any flush-fitting insert I've seen. It sounds like Travis makes good inserts. Any other considerations?

Thanks

They are all the same stoves just diffrent face plates.I heat my whole house with this
stove and does a great job. 1800sf

I'm in a very similar situation: 2400 square feet, oil boiler with baseboard radiators, and tired of paying so much. I've (tried) to do a lot of research and I'm about to get a Lopi Declaration.

I have a 2000 sq foot Cape Cod with same heating setup and last year was my first season with the Declaration. Highly recommend it. Going to try bio-bricks this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.