Flush or extended?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
After this season I will replace a masonry FP installed stove with an insert. Having no experience with inserts, my question is: How much more heat will I have in the room if I install the insert extended compared to flush?

I don't know that there is a clear cut rule that an insert that extends into the room will provide X% more heat than a flush insert, but it certainly will provide more heat.

Are you planning on heating your whole house with the insert? I almost bought a flush Jotul C550 Rockland, and did a lot of research on the stove. I didn't end up getting it, because it seemed like the hearth.com Rockland owners who want the stove to provide most/all of their heat are disappointed with the stove. Those who just want it to heat one room are perfectly happy with it. So that was my general conclusion on flush inserts - they can heat a single room fine, but usually not an entire house. Also, it seemed like it was hard for some people to get overnight burns in the Rockland.

I ended up buying an Enviro Boston 1700, which extends into the room. It is able to heat my entire house (2400 sqft) until it gets down into the teens.

Just my experience, hope it helps. Good luck with your search!

Reactions: joneo
I don't know that there is a clear cut rule that an insert that extends into the room will provide X% more heat than a flush insert, but it certainly will provide more heat.

Are you planning on heating your whole house with the insert? I almost bought a flush Jotul C550 Rockland, and did a lot of research on the stove. I didn't end up getting it, because it seemed like the hearth.com Rockland owners who want the stove to provide most/all of their heat are disappointed with the stove. Those who just want it to heat one room are perfectly happy with it. So that was my general conclusion on flush inserts - they can heat a single room fine, but usually not an entire house. Also, it seemed like it was hard for some people to get overnight burns in the Rockland.

I ended up buying an Enviro Boston 1700, which extends into the room. It is able to heat my entire house (2400 sqft) until it gets down into the teens.

Thanks for the input. I bought a used Avalon Rainier which will replace a Kent with a warped baffle. Our house is well insulated, if not very well. The insert will be installed downstairs. We have a smaller stove upstairs (split level house). So the Rainier needs to heat about 1200+ square feet (downstairs).

Reactions: kennyp2339
Ok, gotcha. I misunderstood the original post - you've already bought the stove, and are trying to decide whether to install it flush or extended into the room... my bad.

Is it possible to install it flush (I'm assuming you prefer the looks of a flush insert?), and then change it if it doesn't provide enough heat? Or would that be too much work?

Ok, gotcha. I misunderstood the original post - you've already bought the stove, and are trying to decide whether to install it flush or extended into the room... my bad.

Is it possible to install it flush (I'm assuming you prefer the looks of a flush insert?), and then change it if it doesn't provide enough heat? Or would that be too much work?

I was thinking the same. Yes, is certainly doable. Thanks for the tip.

Actually I had this exact question. I like the flush look, but want to be able to heat more of the house. At the same time, don't want something that is going to make us feel like we're sitting in a sauna when watching TV in the living room either.

Actually I had this exact question. I like the flush look, but want to be able to heat more of the house. At the same time, don't want something that is going to make us feel like we're sitting in a sauna when watching TV in the living room either.
If the insert is in a living room, flush looks much better. Our insert is in a room we normally are not in, so I opted for extended to have more heat.

In theory and with all things being equal it shouldn't make a difference.
Some flush insert installs require a blower to move a percentage of the heat into the room without which gives the stove that doesn't require one an advantage.
Some inserts are installed with compromises that can result in heat losses and should that stove get replaced with something different that gets installed correctly the insert gets a bad rap. Somewhat unfairly.

If you have it extended out, then you may have enough to cook small things on in event of a power outage. I like mine sticking out. But that's just a personal preference. Inserts are made to convect, so not sure how much heat difference flush vs extended will be. if any.

My first stove a Lopi flush heated my 2100 sq ft house easily. Two blowers were noisy but heated very well. Actually got too hot watching TV. Well it cracked. Top weld. One nigh heard a bang and upon inspection I found a 12” crack in the firebox. Wife wanted something prettier so we went with a Flush Rockland 550C. Smaller BTU and I can feel the difference. Heat comes on more up on the second floor. Seems like more heat stays in the fireplace noticing the brick above the stove is hotter than before. Now the installer blocked off the flue better so maybe that’s the difference. Not sure. Enjoy. Dave T.