Flush Wood Insert Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skmleo

Oct 16, 2008
Central MA
I just started researching wood burning inserts and became very overwhelmed. I am not very knowledgeable on fireplace, since I was born and raised in the south. I am looking for an insert that not only looks elegent but provides heat. We have 3700 SF open floor plan house that we would like to heat as much as possible ( I know the insert will not heat the whole house, but could help cut some of our heating cost). I like the models that are flush mount and have large viewing windows like the Wittus H530, Rais 600, and the Morso 5660. I have attached a worksheet with our dimensions and a picture of our fireplace. Does anyone have any experience with these models that could provide some information or guidance? Thanks

Attachments

• fireplaceworksheet.jpg
    fireplaceworksheet.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,113
  • IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,068
Sorry, the dimensions did not post correctly.

Height 29
Back Width 21.5
Front Width 18
Hearth Depth 24
Hearth Height 0 (Flush to floor)
Depth at Top 18
Depth at Bottom 20
Hearth to Mantle Shelf 54.5
Hearth to Top Trim 42
Wood Trim Side to Side 54

skmleo said:
Sorry, the dimensions did not post correctly.

Height 29
Back Width 21.5
Front Width 18
Hearth Depth 24
Hearth Height 0 (Flush to floor)
Depth at Top 18
Depth at Bottom 20
Hearth to Mantle Shelf 54.5
Hearth to Top Trim 42
Wood Trim Side to Side 54

Did you reverse the back width and front width? The rear seems narrorer than the back, and if so, it seems to be more than a 3 1/2 inch difference (21.5 frt vs 18 rear)

Ah, that sounds more like it. I ran into a same situation as you, as my front was 36", rear was 18" so it tapered a bit like yours, and the height was 27".
The key propblem that I had was finding an insert to match the rear width, so what I did was I took some graph paper and made an exact print of the floorplan of the fireplace...looking from the top down. After making a "blueprint" sort of speak, I was able to look through all the specs of each stove and determine what would fit/wouldn't fit due to the dimensions of the fireplace.

Also, could you comment on where the insert will be located? (Center chimney? End of house?)

Don't have much info on the specific brands you mentioned, but I'm sure others will chime in as lots of good info is found here. Welcome.

Thanks for your response. The fireplace is located in our living room at one end of our first floor. There is an open stairwell and foyer in the center of the house.

Are you located in North Central Mass? (I have had good luck with one dealer out here....and not so good luck with others....I can PM you with the info if you like) Are you looking to install this year? (May be difficult with stove shops as busy as they are right now)

I am located in the Nasoba Valley, but am willing to travel. I would love a recommendation of a stove shop. We were looking for this year, but have realized that may not be possible.

Just PM'd you with some info...just click on the top of the page "Private Messages" once you are logged in. Good luck

I have to agree with rfalk, the Lopi Declaration is a very good choice (at lease it was for me). I've only had mine a month or so, but am very impressed with the quality, look, output and burn times. I haven't even really cranked it up yet so I expect more good things to come. They say it's dipping into the 30's here in the next week or so... I'm anxious to get the stove fired up! Here's my recent review:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25135/

Hope that posts correctly and the link works, I'm somewhat of a newbie to this site.
One additional note, I don't think the viewing area on the declaration is quite as large on the others you've mentioned (it's by no means terrible), however I think the output is higher with the declaration - which was what I was going after. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Check out the Jotul Rockland, not sure about the clearances to the wood trim, but we were looking at the declaration originally, but ended up getting the Rockland because it looked way nicer with the cast iron surround. We have a 1900 sq ft raised ranch with the insert in the lower level and a fan to bring the air upstairs. Right now it is 36 degrees outside and the temp downstairs is 79 and it is 74 upstairs. Heats our whole house.

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-inserts/Jotul-C-550-Rockland/
Signature

Jotul Rockland 550
Connecticut

Check out these guys on Route 20 in Wayland, Massachusetts.

http://www.energyunltd.com/

I bought my Hearthstone insert there and was very impressed with them. Good selection and knowledgeable, nice folks. (and a nice drive from central MA during foliage season)

Thanks for the thread, I'm also looking into getting an insert for next year. I had planned on using a regular stand alone stove in another room, but after consideration and reviews of inserts, I'm going to go with them.

The problem I now realize is that I have the added wood that is about 18 inches from the opening, and the plasma above the fireplace. The mantle should shield it from heat since it is recessed by about 2 inches from the edge of the mantle. I'm not about to redo the mantle after who knows how many hours scrapping, $100 piece of 2 inch top trim, more trim, and painting... We plan on using this as a formal sitting room and the new TV room in the basement remodel in process, thus I'm not too worried about the TV.

Picture before, after taking the god-awful gas insert and lava red tiles off, and finally the finished product:

Attachments

• living small post.jpg
    living small post.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 833
  • 2getting there small.jpg
    2getting there small.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 824
  • final web.jpg
    final web.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 864
Welcome BMM. One of the benefits of the flush fit that there are less issues with clearances. Download the Lopi Declaration (or it's sister model, the Avalon Perfect Fit) manual. It has the installation clearances. Visually, it looks like you'll be ok, but without actual dimensions that's just a guess.

http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=219#Documents

BeGreen said:
Welcome BMM. One of the benefits of the flush fit that there are less issues with clearances. Download the Lopi Declaration (or it's sister model, the Avalon Perfect Fit) manual. It has the installation clearances. Visually, it looks like you'll be ok, but without actual dimensions that's just a guess.

http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=219#Documents

Thanks for the welcome.

Although I'm thinking of ordering mid winter and installing in spring or so, I decided to get off my butt and measure to see if it would fit since you took the initiative to forward the info. Looks like everything is fine except the back height, mine slopes to 18 inches (is 23 wide in the back though) where the insert would fit. I don't have experience in laying brick, and will need to look into if I can safely chip out 3 inches. The overall depth is 21 and needs to be 20.5, so a perfect fit at the bottom.

I have also looked up into the chimney and it looks in good shape. My father owned a wood stove store in his 30s (now 60s) and said I'd be fine, but things have changed and I'd rather be careful. This site has been great for info!

Just got the info to make a call to get a triaxle hopefully delivered to season for 09-10 winter :)

I don't think you want to be removing brick from the interior of the fireplace. What is the front opening dimension? If this stove doesn't fit maybe look at the Jotul C450 as an alternative? It can adjust the depth that the surround is set to and thus how far the insert sits into the fireplace.

BeGreen said:
I don't think you want to be removing brick from the interior of the fireplace. What is the front opening dimension? If this stove doesn't fit maybe look at the Jotul C450 as an alternative? It can adjust the depth that the surround is set to and thus how far the insert sits into the fireplace.

Here is a quick sketch in photoshop of the actual opening. I'll look into the Jotul. My house is a ranch, 1800sq feet on the first main level, finished basement (1000sq feet), and unfinished attic that eventually will be finished. I want to heat the main level with this stove, and eventually add another upstairs. The downstairs stays relatively constant and am not as worried about heating it.

I appreciate any suggestions and thanks for the advice on not chipping into any of the brick.

Attachments

• firebox.jpg
    firebox.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 794
Status
Not open for further replies.