Fly Ash From Blower into Living Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Quadra-Brian

Hearth Supporter
Apr 12, 2007
I have a Quadrafire Santa Fe pellet stove insert. Yesterday I saw a piece of fly ash come out front blower into living room.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas what would cause it. I assume some seal or gasket needs to be replaced.

Thankfully, we're near the end of burning season. But I'm reticent to run stove while I'm not there.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I have a Quadrafire Santa Fe pellet stove insert. Yesterday I saw a piece of fly ash come out front blower into living room.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas what would cause it. I assume some seal or gasket needs to be replaced.

Thankfully, we're near the end of burning season. But I'm reticent to run stove while I'm not there.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Fines are coming out of the bottom of your auger and the room fan is pushing them thru your heat exchanger. Take a white dust cloth and wipe the top of something in the room, if you see black or brown instead of dust you have a problem. Hope this helps.

Fines are coming out of the bottom of your auger and the room fan is pushing them thru your heat exchanger. Take a white dust cloth and wipe the top of something in the room, if you see black or brown instead of dust you have a problem. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

Watcher1

Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested. I think I'm only seeing normal dust. I'm not knowledgeable on the workings of pellets stove. If what youy suggested was happening, how would the fines ignite? Also, what would the fix involve?

The fly ash I saw was glowing orange. I did get a lot of fly ash when pellets feed into burn put and I have seen fly ash leaving the chimney cap.

Thanks again!

You need to look inside stove to see if there is like saw dust coming out below the auger where the motor is attached area. This can be picked up by your room air unit and pushed thru the heat exchanger, there it can turn to charcoal or even produce sparks. The auger has a bushing down at the bottom to stop this they do wear out