Fly Ash (sparks) out the vent?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dl351

Dec 26, 2011
California
So I was looking out my window to make sure there wasn't much smoke coming from my pellet stove. As I was watching, I saw a few glowing pieces of fly ash (?) come out of the vent! I'm a bit concerned about this! Should this really be happening? I have an Advantage Plus with the vent running up the outside of the house, then going horizontally past the eve before terminating. Does the combustion air setting affect this? Thanks for any help!

Added: Does the damper affect sparks coming out of the vent?

I'll be the first to not say it. But, anyway, it'll be fine.

this happened to me once three years ago, freaked me out a bit. I turned of my stove and called dealer as soon as they opened. They came out and found nothing wrong with the stove so they called Harman to see what they had to say. Any how they didn't know much, so they said to take off oak, so thats what we did. I'm sure the oak had nothing to do with it, so I reinstalled the oak the next season, and thankfully have never had this happen again, only a one time show. I should say when this happened it was raining real hard, don't know if that helped, as well that year I burned woodpellet.com hard wood witch made the side of my house brown and ashed up my vent pipe easly.

Status
Not open for further replies.