Fly Fishing Rods - Looking for some advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
I know a few of you are into a bit a fly fishing. I am finally looking to upgrade from a 3 year old starter kit for Atlantic Salmon Fishing. Was set on a St. Croix Imperial but saw a Fenwick HCX rod today that I really liked. Any ideas? Advice. Looking at getting a 9' with a 8 or 9 weight line set up.

I know a few of you are into a bit a fly fishing. I am finally looking to upgrade from a 3 year old starter kit for Atlantic Salmon Fishing. Was set on a St. Croix Imperial but saw a Fenwick HCX rod today that I really liked. Any ideas? Advice. Looking at getting a 9' with a 8 or 9 weight line set up.

That is like asking some fisherman which of their children aren't ugly. Both are good rods. How much you spend on a rod may depend on how your using it and the streams your fishing on. Flys, indicator,chuck&duck, spawn? Size of fish in your area? If you can borrow a rod to fish with or go to a shop and cast a few rods to see which you like better than others.

All I was after was a general idea on the quality of both rods, am not familiar with Fenwick as much so I will likely go with the one i liked the best. Thanks, only 2 more months till spring salmon run, getting the itch already.

Take into account your budget before you start looking. You can find a rod in any price range. Take into account how much actual time you'll use it and your skill level. You can get a decent rod for cheap(er) and a great, light rod for $$$$$$. Lots of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.