FMI 36" Prefab to Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucky205

Feb 21, 2014
Pell City, AL
Hey Everyone,
Newbie here looking for advice. We have just purchased a new home that currently has a prefab which I believe to be an FMI 36" bungalow. We are wanting to convert it using a wood stove insert to gain efficency. We are looking at the Buck Stove 18 or the Regency I1200. I prefer the Regency for BTU output, but have seen pictures of the Buck 18 installed into my existing prefab. First question is has anyone installed either of these two into a 36" prefab?
The next question is covering the vents of the existing prefab fireplace. I have seen photos with them covered with the Buck 18, but have read with he Regency the top existing vents on the FMI should not be covered. I have found nothing about the bottom vent. The house is 6 years old and has an existing double walled 8" pipe. Plans are to install a 6" stainless flex tube down the existing 8"

This is a link to my existing prefab: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-95622685483394/fsd-b36lmanual.pdf

and I also posted a pic of my existing prefab.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DSCF2090.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing you should do is look at the manual for the unit you are thinking of buying - Travis (lopi avalon), for example, shows the parts of the fireplace which can be modified and those which cannot. They also mention the brands that the insert is approved for.

Bucky205, I'm interested in how this went for you. I too just bought a house with an FMI 36'' prefab, and I'm planning to tear it out and install a freestanding Buck Stove (model 74) this summer. It's in a corner in my house and I really want the freestanding look, so that's why we're going that way. Did you run into any problems with the fresh air intake? Any surprises with the framing or anything else once you tore out the prefab unit? Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.