Foam in a Can

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
I have four 7ft x 1.5 ft bays in the basement ceiling that I want to insulate. I can see through the floor boards to the carpet insulation directly above.

Is it reasonable to use several cans of foam and spray up? I know the foam is sticky, but I wonder if too much of it will rain down making it impractical. I've worked with the foam before for small spaces.

Option 2 is to cut polystyrene board and then put bats under it. I know it can be a bear to cut it just right, though.

Bats can be held up with little springs, the look like wire. Another option is rigid foam, you can cut it loose and fill the gaps with canned foam. Third possibilty, expanding foam in a kit from home depot, haven't seen it, just heard about it.

I don't want to do just batts. I want to block air flow. I may try the sheet foam with the foam in a can for gaps.

Great Stuff. I don't want to get into tiger foam. I want something somewhat simple, but better than fiberglass batts alone, for a small area under a guest bedroom.

Removing Great Stuff can be a bear...

I'd buy the 8x2 ft. rigid insulation, cut to fit tight, push them up into the bays and secure with strapping. (assuming you have exposed floor joists to screw that strapping too). :long:

Yes, I have exposed floor joists. Will have a few things to work around like electrical boxes and pipes.

Couple of things. You could staple poly to the subfloor/floor in the bays to stop air flow and then use fiberglass bats held in place with the wire springs. Fiberglas itself is pretty good at blocking convection air and might be able to do the job by itself.

I had the same problem. I used poly-iso foam panels from HD. I measured the average width and cut it just a smidge wider than the measurement. When I cut them down the length, I cut a 45 degree taper on the edges. I pushed the panels up into place and secured with 1" sheet rock screws every foot or so. The beveled edge conforms nicely to the joists. I have not used foam to seal the edges, as a.) I felt that it did a good enough job without it, or b.) it is at the bottom of the honey do list. If I was to seal, I would use silicone to apply a bead. It would do a neater job and not be too unsightly. I store a lot of items for the house on nails in the joists.

Long story short, it worked and was pretty cheap. Living room and dining room floors are not cold now. Heat from furnace keeps basement warmer now, although furnace does not run much with stove going...Woo Hoo.

SolarAndWood said:
Are you talking about great stuff or something like this?

http://tigerfoam.com/

Anyone know how much this stuff costs? I went to Home Depot today and they didn't have it.

I've seen the foam kits on ebay for around $600. There are cheaper places if you search the web a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.