Foam Under Click Together Flooring In Basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I was looking at the 100% waterproof, ie, 100% synthetic click together strip wood-look flooring by Allure. It'd be nice to get some insulation under this floating floor. I wonder if the Allure would play nice with the foam? It's pretty darn flexible, but maybe the joints would be a problem. Maybe not. I could always buy a box and test it out I suppose.

Yes, it was the Allure Ultra product I was looking at. It was a dollar more a ft2 than the TrafficMaster synthetic product that was on sale, but it was thicker, for one. I was thinking of an inch of foam.

Last edited:
I just installed the stick together Allure in a friend's house. That stuff was really sensitive to fit together on an uneven kitchen floor. It made a nice looking finished product though.

owens-corning pink board will work too.

I'd also think about using some sort of subfloor material on top of it. It has pretty good compressive strength, but it can get dents and dings in it.

Standard Dow blue board should be just fine. Avoid bead board (low density).
Or Owens Corning "Foamular 250". Basically make sure you use XPS not EPS (you can see the beads in EPS like a coffee cup) and for more compressive strength use high density XPS.
Or you could always put tongue & groove OSB over the foam. I did that in a slab-on-grade sunroom under laminate click-together & it worked fine. In a basement you might not want to lose another 1/2-3/4" of head room for OSB, but the cost wouldn't be a huge deal.

Reactions: kingquad
Yep. XPS foam board will work great without any subfloor above it.
I did 1" of foam below a laminate floor about 6 years ago and its held up perfectly even with heavy dogs and furniture on it.
What you're talking about doing is what I plan to do in my basement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.