Fogged up headlamp lenses on my truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My 2003 chevy truck has large headlamp lenses that have become somewhat foggy on the inside. I have recently seen people advertising to clean this up, also seen an ad or two somewhere selling some kind of device that looks like a ladies hair dryer that can supposedly clear them up. Anybody know how it works, and if it works? I'd like to clean mine up but don't want to learn 2 days later that I paid someone 10 times what it would have cost me to do it myself!

The only ones I've had fog were either cracked or and the other one the vent was blocked, so it wasn't breathing any more. ( spray paint , squeezed the tube and unsealed the end)
The cracked one ( car must have been bumped) I siliconed the crack, so far so good, it's staying dry, but it was wet for a while and some of the chrome spray reflector is starting to peel. Damned light housings are expensive.

Lamps used to be two bucks. Sure they were round or square and all the same, but cheaper to fix.

the fog is moisture, look for cracks, or bad seal around the bulb, spray some alcohol in it and wipe out for the water.

You have two potential problems that people call fogged, blurry, or hazed headlight lenses. You can either have water infiltration which will create water vapor condensing on the inside of the lens. Or you can have an actual surface damage on the face of the lense caused by anything from UV degradation of the plastic to sandblasting from road dirt. The products sold to remove the surface haze are going to be polishes while the water vapor fog can't be fixed except by letting the water evaporate and then sealing the lense from new water.

I've drilled two holes in the bottom of the glass to let what ever water entering the lamp leave. Took care of the fogging issue without any compromise to the light. If you have standing water in the lamp, try it.

I don't see condensation. It looks to be a dry whitish film of some sort. I've seen condensation in other headlamps before and this is not that. Although perhaps I had condensation and this is the dried water marks inside? Not sure.

I have used the headlamp resurfacer on 2 different cars unbelievable how well it works cost about $20.00 at autozone takes about 30 minutes. it really is amazing how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.