foil tape on chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I have some adhesive metal tape - not sure exactly what it's called, but it's fairly thick foil, aluminum maybe, with adhesive backing. Used to seal ductwork, I believe.

Is it ok to use this tape on metal-bestos chimney pipe ? Where mine passes though a metal plate on the wooden ceiling, there is a good-sized annular gap (1/4" in spots). Seems worth sealing - not for stove operation, but just for good weatherproofing. Nothing to burn really, except the adhesive. It might dry up and fall off at some point, so I could put a big hose clamp around the pipe there.

Better way to do this ?

My first thought would be high temp silicone. But 1/4 gap may be a bit too large for that.

Thanks guys. Yes, I think the the gap is a little too large for silicon. And the chimney is the usual stainless, and the plate in the ceiling is aluminum.

Is the pipe double/triple wall? If so, it might not get all that hot and the adhesive tape might be able to stand up to it. But, you can also buy high-temperature adhesive metal tape specifically for this purpose. Not sure how well it works, but the product exists.

You can use the foil tape, but getting it to look nice is an issue.
There shouldn't be a considerable amount of heat in that area,
so it should hold up for a while.
If you smooth it carefully with a wooden tongue depressor, it'll
look OK - not great - but OK.

Is the pipe double/triple wall? If so, it might not get all that hot and the adhesive tape might be able to stand up to it. But, you can also buy high-temperature adhesive metal tape specifically for this purpose. Not sure how well it works, but the product exists.
Double wall metalbestos - so 8" OD and 6" ID. It's too hot to touch, but only just barely, with a raging fire. Maybe my metal tape is the high-temp stuff. But, where would I go to buy that ?

getting it to look nice is an issue
Should have said: I'll do it from above, in the attic, on top of the metal plate in the ceiling - so looks shouldn't be much of an issue, except looking through the gap.

Could you stuff some kaowool or stove gasket around the gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.