Foil tape this collar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
In cleaning the insert, I noticed that the foil tape around this collar had pretty much disintegrated over the last 4 years. So I removed it, but I'm wondering if I need to re-tape it for the season. I'm not sure how much good it would do if the tape is only rated to 600 degrees.

IMG_3969.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I never foil tape the connection, as long as the clamp is tight and it appears that you have a screw securing it anyway. There is so much hot air going up through the pipe, smoke will not escape. If you were going to do anything, you could add some high temp sealant around the connector if you desired.

nope no foil tape the only thing that will hold up at all is furnace cement and it will crack and be useless quickly. There is no need to seal it. what does concern me a bit is the fact that it does not look like the adapter is attached to the insert at all and it is sitting crooked.

Reactions: webby3650
what does concern me a bit is the fact that it does not look like the adapter is attached to the insert at all and it is sitting crooked.

The adapter is solidly in place to the extent it doesn't budge when I apply a decent amount of force to it. No smoke leaks from it either. Although we didn't specifically talk about the adapter, the chimney sweep gave it a good a look, and I'm pretty certain it's been canted like that since day 1. I'd get someone to look at it if it raises a red flag, though.

The adapter is solidly in place to the extent it doesn't budge when I apply a decent amount of force to it. No smoke leaks from it either. Although we didn't specifically talk about the adapter, the chimney sweep gave it a good a look, and I'm pretty certain it's been canted like that since day 1. I'd get someone to look at it if it raises a red flag, though.
it needs to be mechanically attached to the stove you do not want it coming off while there is a fire in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.