foil tape

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atcomo

Jan 17, 2009
Shirley,LI
Does anyone use foil tape to seal the snap lock joints on the chimney pipe?

I have a problem of halfway thru the winter it loses it adhesiveness and falls off.

Can you tell me what you use?

most foil tape isn't rated past 60*C, so it won't stick for long. Any leaks that are there should be very small, and shouldn't need attention unless the pipe is misformed. Screwing the pipes together at the joints will keep the locking seams from splitting, if that is what you are trying to do.

Better yet, buy solid pipe vice the "ziploc" style.

Foil tape is intented to be used for forced air duct sealing. I wouldn't use the foil tape for the purpose of sealing any type of flue/exhaust piping. If you have leakage in a section of flue pipe, replace it. Play it safe, don't risk Carbon Monoxide leaks. You may have to seal the joints with high temp rtv or high temp cement.

Just my two cents. Be safe.

Tb

When you are describing snap-lock joints, exactly where is this joint and what kind of pipe? If this is the seam of single-wall, it doesn't get sealed at all and shouldn't need it. The twist lock joints of class A shouldn't need sealing either. As noted, foil tape should be used in no place on a wood fire flue. Even high-temp rtv is way over it's rating on single-wall pipe and will likely just stink and go solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.