Foolish Stove pipe question - What am I missing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
Okay, so I feel a bit foolish here but I've got to be missing something. Today I bought some single wall black stove (6" x 24") pipe from Lowe's. The pipe is not connected to itself and it appears as if the one edge just slip into the other edge but it doesn't. Am I supposed to take a flat head screw driver and pry it, then slip the other edge in or is it just supposed to snap in? Anybody have any tips?

Are you talking about the side seam or the ends? Have a photos?

It should just snap in. It can be a pain sometimes to get them together. I put the pipe on the floor and push down until it snaps in.

Should just snap in. But sometimes a little persuasion is needed. If the snap lock is what's in your budget then go for it, but if you can afford it get some pipe that's either welded seam or atleast folded seamed at the factory. It'll last twice to three times as long as your snap lock stuff.

Hogwildz said:
Are you talking about the side seam or the ends? Have a photos?

side seam.

What the others said....side seam snaps together. If you want belt and suspenders, drive a couple screws in through the seam once it's assembled.

As the others said, it just snaps together. It is a PITA. ANd ususally dents by the time you get it locked. Shoulda bought pre assembled.
Good luck.

Well I finally got one piece snapped together. The pipe is a bit scratched and oval shaped, am I just supposed to keep rolling and bending until it becomes circular again?

As best as you can. Once its ovalized, its hard to get perfectly round again. Thats why its better to buy the premade tuff.

yep it is just another live and learn thing.
That is another reason I went with adjustable length double wall inside.

Okay, I gave up on the snap lock crap and bought some welded seam stove pipe. Live and learn.

Now yer learning. And you don't have to worry bout the seam coming apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.