Foot Long Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD41

Jan 11, 2008
Northern Ohio
There has been much discussion about long pellets causing auger jams. My problem was with overfeeding and too much heat in warm weather on the lowest setting. I particularly noticed this with Somerset pellets. Somerset heat on 1-1 was about the same as Lignetics on 2-2. I made adjustments to feed and air as necessary to compensate. This year the heat per setting is much closer with Somerset still having the edge. Both are my pellets of choice, leaning toward Somerset when available. Taking a random handful of each, I found the longest Somerset was about 7/8" and Lignetics was 1 1/4". I wonder if this is intentional. Has anyone else noticed this difference?

Attachments

• Somerset.jpg
    Somerset.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 762
  • Lignetics.jpg
    Lignetics.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 772
Somersets are my favorite (hottest) pellet around too... Followed by Pro Pellet and Lignetics.

All 3 are pretty short pellets. But because the Somersets are the shortest, they feed more volume, and give more heat.

The lingen protein in the wood is the natural binder which holds pelles together. If the feedstock is somewhat pure and has not been subject to UV light the pellet will hold itself together better. Overland trucking and basic handling of bags causes the pellets to break apart from their factory length. Pellets which are made from reclaimed wood (wood that has been used for another purpose) usually have less usuable protein and often need to be mixed with some percentage of "new" wood to keep their shape. Look at Cubex or Okanagan pellets...they are made from 100% "new" wood which has previosly been kiln dried; these mills have a proprietory interest in making another quality product ( cubex - hardwood floors, okanagan - construction lumber) that must meet certain quality standards,

smwilliamson said:
The lingen protein in the wood is the natural binder which holds pelles together. If the feedstock is somewhat pure and has not been subject to UV light the pellet will hold itself together better. Overland trucking and basic handling of bags causes the pellets to break apart from their factory length. Pellets which are made from reclaimed wood (wood that has been used for another purpose) usually have less usuable protein and often need to be mixed with some percentage of "new" wood to keep their shape. Look at Cubex or Okanagan pellets...they are made from 100% "new" wood which has previosly been kiln dried; these mills have a proprietory interest in making another quality product ( cubex - hardwood floors, okanagan - construction lumber) that must meet certain quality standards,

Somersets has a hardwood flooring plant. There Fiber seems to be very consistent because of that and the size is perfect (small all the time, never seen one much longer than an inch, and those are few and far between).

Somersets consistently give motr heat than any other brand in my stove and I believe it is because of the short length of the pellets, along with the quality of the materials. I have also burned Turman's, which were great but they are longer and always fed less pellets and did not produce the same heat.

Somersets are my all time favorite pellet. So, when I compare pellets, I don't make comparisons to them. Unfortunately, I didn't see any around here this year. I tend to prefer the smaller pellets. With them I can turn the stove's feed rate down and save wear and tear on the stove. For example, I finished burning some sizable pellets at feed rate 2 with average heat. Then I filled the hopper with some smaller Fireside Ultras. Now, I get better heat at -1! And less wear and tear. Almost no brand of pellet will burn at -1 (below idle) in my stove. Point FSU. But the Chuck Norris Signature Somersets do this while eating lunch.

stellep said:
Somersets are my all time favorite pellet. So, when I compare pellets, I don't make comparisons to them. Unfortunately, I didn't see any around here this year. I tend to prefer the smaller pellets. With them I can turn the stove's feed rate down and save wear and tear on the stove. For example, I finished burning some sizable pellets at feed rate 2 with average heat. Then I filled the hopper with some smaller Fireside Ultras. Now, I get better heat at -1! And less wear and tear. Almost no brand of pellet will burn at -1 (below idle) in my stove. Point FSU. But the Chuck Norris Signature Somersets do this while eating lunch.

i have a harman accentra insert curious i am burning turmans now never seen the somersets before i get a lot of heat outta turmans if i turn my feed rate down which is at 4 now to 2 lets say to get the same heat at feed rate 4 do i need to turn up the temperature? i have the stove on stove temp not room temp setting. thanks for any help stove is still new to me just bought it in nov looking for ways to cut back a little if possible on pellet use burning 2 bags every 24-28 hrs.

smithw44 said:
stellep said:

i have a harman accentra insert curious i am burning turmans now never seen the somersets before i get a lot of heat outta turmans if i turn my feed rate down which is at 4 now to 2 lets say to get the same heat at feed rate 4 do i need to turn up the temperature? i have the stove on stove temp not room temp setting. thanks for any help stove is still new to me just bought it in nov looking for ways to cut back a little if possible on pellet use burning 2 bags every 24-28 hrs.

Welcome to the forum! If you go to page 31 on the post you will find 2 threads that may help you one is Pellet consumption & the other is Newbie loving it and frustrated lots of good info there.

Seems to me that 2 bags a day is a bit high,but how tight is your house good windows & insulation all factor in to pellet consumption. Good luck hope this helps.

ebengel said:
Somersets consistently give motr heat than any other brand in my stove and I believe it is because of the short length of the pellets, along with the quality of the materials. I have also burned Turman's, which were great but they are longer and always fed less pellets and did not produce the same heat.

I agree. Since the Somersets are overall, shorter, you will get more pieces in each auger cycle dropping into the burnpot. The longer Lignetics will result in less pellets, and hence, lower temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.