1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

For all those behind in their wood stacks - or the "will it be ready this year" crowd:

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by stee6043, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    Unfortunately beech does not dry quickly so for near future use you will need to split it small. a moisture meter will help a lot in that regard. beech is highly rated for btu output so it is worth the wait. copy and past this link to your browser and down load it for future use: http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm Someone gave it to me and I have found the link very useful.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JotulOwner

JotulOwner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    Thanks, but I recently learned that my Beech wood isn't Beech. It's Maple. I am working on next year's supply, so seasoning isn't an issue for this year (hopefully). Anyway, trying some Beech would have been nice, but I do like Maple and I learned more thanks to the members of this forum.
  3. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    I too have often sniffed wood. 8-/ I try to get my daughter to smell interesting splits, but she always thinks I'm tricking her somehow. And the wife just shakes her head. By now I could probably identify quite a few types of wood based on smell alone.

I've collected a decent bit of cherry over the years, and have come across 3 seemingly distinct types. One I've been calling "wild cherry", it grows everywhere along the edges of woods here. It has scaly bark, a yellowish sapwood, and light-medium red heartwood, and while the smell is definitely cherry it's somewhat thin and sour. Another I've been calling "black cherry" has a deep purple papery bark (like a birch), has a deep red/purple heartwood, and has a deep, rich, sweet "classic" cherry smell. Both can be decent size, and I don't know if they are really different species or just had different soil, etc. The third is an ornamental which didn't have much of a scent.
  4. beardley

beardley Member

Loc:
    Cato, NY
    I love black cherry. Burns long and smells great. We have a lot in our wood lot. Here is yesterdays harvest. This one was just shy of a face cord.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    i have about 4 cords of black cherry ,love the smell no doubt.. especially when burning it! ,has a sweet odor that lingers around the yard on a cold janruary day
    for all to enjoy,mine has seasoned well ,its gray cracked and dry in 5-6months in a double row with plenty of sunlight and breeze.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Maybe it's Beeple . . . beech and maple . . . or would that be Mapeech? ;) :)

Just kidding . . . my friend and I have a running joke about cutting Mash trees since we were cutting some tall trees and couldn't tell if they were maple or ash until we had them down on the ground and could identify them by the leaves.
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    And chaulk me up also as a fan of black cherry . . . love the smell, love splitting it, love the color and best of all I like the way it burns.
  8. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    anyone like the smell of red oak?

That's one that I definitely don't want to sniff, and don't even like walking past the freshly split pile because of the smell.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Yes, I do like the smell of red oak. I used to love it when I sawed lumber and we'd get a bunch of red oak. Strong odor really spread all over the place.
  10. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    My wife hates the smell of Red Oak. I like it. Kinda pungent, but it is the smell of easy splitting, hot and long burning wood. I think somebody posted here a while ago that the smell of Red Oak was like the smell of victory. I have a cord or so to split. I can't wait to get through the Maple I have so I can split the Oak.
  11. olskool53

olskool53 Member

Loc:
    CT
    Nothing beats the smell of birch.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sassafras does!
  13. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Drying or burning? IMHO it smells OK burning but it has kind of a cat piss smell just sitting in the holder. Doesn't leave the whole yard smelling nice like Ash does.
  14. trailblaze

trailblaze New Member

Loc:
    South West PA
    well this is my second year... first year i bought cherry cut in may split in june and it burned very well this past winter.. in fact i ran too hot all year... had the chimney cleaned (18Ft -16 DW stainless/4SW) and the guy said it really didn't need it

so i bought this years supply in april (cut and split) and it's looking like a nice grayish color and should be just as fine..

i bought maple oak and cherry this year.... guess i'll see what happens. i just dont have the room to store 2 yrs worth of wood
  15. Ratman

Ratman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bedford, NH
    My mouth is watering again (pic#3)
  16. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Beardley,
    Nice looking little CC. :coolsmile:
  17. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I dropped three more black cherry's yesterday. One of them was the biggest I've taken so far. It was just a pinch more than 18" at the base. I know this only because it's the first time I've ever wish I had a 20" bar!

Great wood and I too am very jealous of everyone on this site that has a nice tractor.
  18. ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep New Member

19. beardley

beardley Member

Loc:
    Cato, NY
    It's a great little unit. At first I was afraid it was going to be too small, but I was wrong. It actually works out in my favor for wood harvesting. It's only 4 ft wide so I can get it in anywhere.
  20. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    be carfull cutting those nice cherry trees as they may be worth more for lumber. venier cherry price was up last I heard, not like a few years ago but worth saving for lumber. I have a lot of cherry and I cull the crooked and ones with small crownsbut save the good ones. If you have many it might pay to see a licened forestor as he might make you a lot of money.
    leaddog
  21. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I know that cherry is about the most valuable lumber these days. Everyone is getting cherry floors and cabinets. Unfortuneatly with building down the price is currently down. I am torn between cutting some or saving them. You have to be a little careful too because forest rangers have told me they are like humans and have a limited life, not like oaks that go on forever. Some of the ones I have are peaking the one ranger told me cherry trees should not get that big. I am trying hold off until the price goes back up, but in the mean time cutting up the fallen ones or the limbs that come down.
  22. Woods Dweller

Woods Dweller New Member

Loc:
    South Jersey Woods
    I'm not too far from you in South Jersey and I couldn't agree with you more. I have a staging area in a clearing up on a slight hill that is almost perfect for seasoning. I run multiple 60 foot long single stacks about 8 feet apart (so I can drive my tractor through) and the wood gets about 10 hours of direct sunlight in the summer. The wood bakes in the SJ heat and gets lots of air. I leave it there uncovered all summer until I move it into the shed in late october. I can stack green oak in the spring and it’s perfect by late fall.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.