For all who do not clean there pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
Just thought I would share to everyone how much dust and chips I got this year, these were all great pellets and just to cut down on the dust. My hopper is supper clean.
I know there are a lot of people who think it is a waste of time, but I like to be clean.
The black trash bag is about half full and this was about 2 tons of pellets threw my shop vac with hepa filter.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 812
Fish On said:
Just thought I would share to everyone how much dust and chips I got this year, these were all great pellets and just to cut down on the dust. My hopper is supper clean.
I know there are a lot of people who think it is a waste of time, but I like to be clean.
The black trash bag is about half full and this was about 2 tons of pellets threw my shop vac with hepa filter.

Nice , but I think that dust would have burned without a problem in the two stoves I have and probably most other stoves.
The Green Supremes I bought last year are dusty as hell but I just load em in the hopper and let em go.

In 14 years, I've never cleaned any pellets or corn. My corn comes delivered in the grain tanks magnetically screened from the co-op. Not for the appliance but for the cattle. Hardware Disease in steers isn't pretty.

I've had wet bags that dried and the pellets turned into basically sawdust. I just mix that in with good pellets and burn it.

My cleaning extent is allowing Mother Nature to blow her wind through the stream of corn falling from the chute into my end loader. If it's really chaffy, I feed the chaff. Cattle eat it just fine.

I've heard of the rare ocassion of metal showing up in pellets, probably from some equipment failure in the process but I've never had anything hang up an auger.

I never cleaqn my pellets, I just let the stove run out 2 to 3 times a season. The stove run's great..

Don't clean here either, used to but found I didn't need to as the stove has no issues. I do vac the hopper out every so often when I do a full clean of the stove. For me it was more of a dust issue than anything.

I have never bothered screening my pellets before burning them.
My stoves burn up the fines with no issues. Every now and then
I will let the hopper run dry to check for buildup, but usually just a little dusty.

After sifting the Athen pellets the 1st winter, i am so done with that. Wood is wood & it'll burn someway or another. Muss

I am a "Rookie" with 2 years burning pellets under my belt.
We do not have any issues with the stove but do see an ash deposit on the TV screen every few days.
For that reason I have considered cleaning the pellets but have not yet.

Czech said:
Don't clean here either, used to but found I didn't need to as the stove has no issues. I do vac the hopper out every so often when I do a full clean of the stove. For me it was more of a dust issue than anything.

I do the same.

Pretty much agree with everyone else here. Sifted in the very beginning when I got my stove, but not the past couple seasons and never have any problems. IMHO it's a waste of time.

Fish On said:
Whats the bag of sawdust weigh?

BLIMP said:
Fish On said:
Whats the bag of sawdust weigh?

if it weighs the same as a duck, we all know what to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.