For FireFighterJake-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
In response to your previous thread, things do seem to be slowing down- as far as posts go. As a former wildland firefighter and F.A.E in my younger days, I remember the monotomy of station living during the slow times. Here are my current thoughts, run with it, this might be fun- or not?
?-
Why does my Timberline w/ secondary mods. like to mess with me, so much so that I feel the need to check the stack and stove top temps. every five minutes or so? Is it just me?
How much will my wood consumption be reduced with the new BKK parlor I have on order?
Has anyone ever built a two-tiered hearth for their stove- or will I be the first? (Summer project for the new BKK)
Why do people knock Pine, when mine burns for 30+ hours between re-loads?
Why do I feel compelled to visit this site several times a day, to check on problems with stoves that I will never own? (it really interferes with work)
Did "Big-Redd" ever get his new wood shed done?
What did "Shari" end up with for a surround for her new stove?
If YOU (anyone) had access to unlimited, dead standing pine, would you still CSS for two+ years, or would you just process on a year-to-year basis?
Do dead mice contribute to creosote? (old question, but the issue has popped up again)
I could go on, but I won't- no harm in anyone highjacking anything on this post. Let 'er RIP!
Thanks all, JB :cheese:

Gotta love 30 hr burns out of a load of pine. Congrats on the BK, you are going to have to find another hobby with 5 minute inervals. What's the deal with the 2 tiered hearth?

30 hr. burns with Pine-I knew that would get a response. %-P NOT! But I do get decent 8-10 hrs. currently. Still chilly here, but house is nice @ 76 or do. The two tiered hearth is an idea, no extra reason or requirement. Just think it might look cool, 'ya know- give the King a throne. It will be a double radius, angle steel base frame, w/ tube steel intermediates supports, plus 14g. sheet steel covers. Rockwool insulation, cement board top w/ tile or slate or stone surface TBD( by wife). ;-)

You will be amazed at what the King does. I've been burning low density stuff this week and just reloaded after 36 hours, no match or kindling required.

I like the sounds of the throne. Mine is going to have a floor drain in it to sweep into. I hate dust pans.

you got me thinkin. maybe like the new front load washer and dryers have a platform to sit it up higher for easier loading maybe that might not be a bad idea for a woodstove. easier loading, easier ash clean out. might be good for those of us that have back problems. on some setups it might make it easier to run a brush up the pipe for quick cleaning without having to leave the house.

ehh just a thought.

Beetle-Kill said:
If YOU (anyone) had access to unlimited, dead standing pine, would you still CSS for two+ years, or would you just process on a year-to-year basis?
Thanks all, JB :cheese:

I just keep collecting all the dead standing I can get. 3 years ahead now or more. You cant go wrong with extra dry wood for the BK. The dryer the better. I get allot of spruce to, due to BEETLE KILL. This photo shows how dry it is when it is just cut and brought home. It will burn fine but was cut in 2009 and will feed the stove in 2012. Yes , it still makes a big difference. Especially on a low turn down. This wood was put under cover in the fall and will sit for 2yrs.
Congrats on your new purchase.
N of 60

Attachments

• little helper.jpg
    little helper.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 563
  • o9 collection.jpg
    o9 collection.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 591
Beetle-Kill said:
Has anyone ever built a two-tiered hearth for their stove- or will I be the first? (Summer project for the new BKK)

You read my mind as that is what we are thinking about. A friend has some small lannon stone that we will go take a look at as soon as all the snow is gone and the stones aren't froze in the ground. There is just one photo in the gallery of a hearth like this - looks neat!

Beetle-Kill said:
What did "Shari" end up with for a surround for her new stove?

:) Nothing - yet. Hubby's been having a hard time with his anti-rejection drugs lately so we have been basically either homebound or at a doctor's visit - haven't had time to go out to take a look at what is available for stone veneer.

Shari

PS You might not hear from FFJ - I think he's moping in a corner somewhere about Oslo blue/black versus matte black. :)

Shari

Shari said:
PS You might not hear from FFJ - I think he's moping in a corner somewhere about Oslo blue/black versus matte black. :)

Shari

Hey now . . . that's not true . . . I have been thinking I could spray paint it though . . . maybe make it a nice fire engine red color. ;) :)

Ah yes, Beetle Kill you were a firefighter weren't you . . . I'll play along.

Will the Swedish Chef ever resolve the smell issue or will he have to buy some industrial sized air scrubbers?

Did Katherine ever get the stove installed with that great fireplace/hearth?

Will Dennis ever see the light and believe me when I say I really do prefer horizontal splitting vs. vertical splitting since it is easier on my back?

Will Quads ever stop cutting and splitting and posting pics . . . yeah, I'm with the rest of you . . . I hope not . . . I enjoy those pics too.

Will I ever get to meet some of the Hearth.com characters in person someday . . . heck, I wouldn't mind meeting some of the local Mainiacs . . . Bobbin' for example . . . she sounds like a top notch lady.

Will somone devise an even better hand-held splitting ax or maul other than the legendary Fiskars?

When will Woodstock release their new stove . . . and will it be something that will tempt me . . . or will I be able to resist the soapstone's siren song of temptation?

Will this be the year when I stop buying extra stuff for cutting and processing wood so that burning wood truly is profitable . . . nah . . . probably not . . . I'm already thinking of getting a better woods trailer.

Will the snow ever go away so Bogey Dave can get even more firewood cut and split so he can get to work on 2016-2017's wood supply?

Will Be Green ever post any pics of those daffodils he claimed were in bloom . . . or will we just have to trust him when he says they are in bloom.

How many folks will post here next Fall asking either a) how come my glass is all black, b) I just cut and split some wood in August . . . do you think I can burn it now in mid-October?, c) what should I do if I have a chimney fire and d) I've heard pine causes chimney fires . . . but what about burning hemlock . . . is that OK?

What stove/brand will be darling bud of the hearth.com members next year . . . will Woodstock and Blaze King continue to be "the stove" to buy?

Will this be the year Jags wins the Wheelchair Olympics with his modified chair in his avatar?

When will we start the mission to Pandora to start harvesting those giant trees . . . and will we be bringing Husquvarnas, Stihls or Dolmars to do the job?

Will Pooks return this year . . . or has he resigned himself to forming his own BBS . . . with a focus on Magic Heaters?

Will this be the year when the 2007 Playboy Playmate of the Year falls head over heals in love with Hogwildz?

And on a serious note . . . when will we hear from Goose Rider again . . . we're missing you buddy.

Here ya go Jake, your moment of spring.

Attachments

• spring1.jpg
    spring1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 409
  • spring2.jpg
    spring2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 413
firefighterjake said:
Will this be the year Jags wins the Wheelchair Olympics with his modified chair in his avatar?

When will we start the mission to Pandora to start harvesting those giant trees . . . and will we be bringing Husquvarnas, Stihls or Dolmars to do the job?

Will Pooks return this year . . . or has he resigned himself to forming his own BBS . . . with a focus on Magic Heaters?

Will this be the year when the 2007 Playboy Playmate of the Year falls head over heals in love with Hogwildz?

And on a serious note . . . when will we hear from Goose Rider again . . . we're missing you buddy.

Pook has surfaced over on stovenet.com.

I have been lurking and lurking but figured I would say something. This was my first year burning. I have some how amassed about enough wood for 3 years. I now have a privacy fence between me and the neighbors that is 4 foot wide, 5 foot tall, and 25 foot long of oak, hickory, birch, maple, tulip poplar and its just one of my stacks. :) It is amazing how much free wood is out there if you look.

grommal said:

Pook was last spotted floating about in a BLIMP.

Corriewf said:
...It is amazing how much free wood is out there if you look.

That depends on where you live. Where I live, the opportunities for scrounging free firewood are basically zip. I like living in the high desert country of central Oregon for a lot of reasons...but I don't have the luxury of wood falling in my lap. Rick

fossil said:
Corriewf said:
...It is amazing how much free wood is out there if you look.

That depends on where you live. Where I live, the opportunities for scrounging free firewood are basically zip. I like living in the high desert country of central Oregon for a lot of reasons...but I don't have the luxury of wood falling in my lap. Rick

That does suck, but hey, you have beautiful views im sure. I also bet you don't suffer from allergies out that way. People have told me out that way it is so much better for people that suffer from allergies. In a month or less our cars around here will all turn yellow from the pollen.

fossil said:
...but I don't have the luxury of wood falling in my lap. Rick

There is a hundred foot Poplar thirty feet in front of the house that I am afraid is going to do exactly that. My lap. Not yours.

That does suck, but hey, you have beautiful views im sure. I also bet you don’t suffer from allergies out that way. People have told me out that way it is so much better for people that suffer from allergies. In a month or less our cars around here will all turn yellow from the pollen.

Alders are mighty pollen creators, but when the big firs get going, it's ridiculous. Our cars get a 1/16" crust on them in spring from the pollen. It's already started this year.

grommal said:

And he seems, well, COHERENT! He also stated people at hearth.com argue with him. LOL

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
...but I don't have the luxury of wood falling in my lap. Rick

There is a hundred foot Poplar thirty feet in front of the house that I am afraid is going to do exactly that. My lap. Not yours.

Is that a 100 foot poplar in your lap or are you happy to see me?

BeGreen said:
That does suck, but hey, you have beautiful views im sure. I also bet you don’t suffer from allergies out that way. People have told me out that way it is so much better for people that suffer from allergies. In a month or less our cars around here will all turn yellow from the pollen.

Alders are mighty pollen creators, but when the big firs get going, it's ridiculous. Our cars get a 1/16" crust on them in spring from the pollen. It's already started this year.

I bet, but it still HAS to be worst here. In spring everything blooms here. I even think the mailbox blooms. I stay sick for a good 3-4 months. Then fall gets here and makes me sick again. I love winter! I should move to somewhere where it is cold all year and nothing blooms. :lol:

I am already double-timing the claritin with the nasal spray on the warm days as it is. Allergies seem to be getting worse as I get older. Daffodils and crocus are just starting to show a little green.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
I am already double-timing the claritin with the nasal spray on the warm days as it is. Allergies seem to be getting worse as I get older. Daffodils and crocus are just starting to show a little green.

I wish it was that simple for me. None of those drugs work for me. Well, they will work for a few days and it's like my system gets immune to it.

BeGreen said:
Here ya go Jake, your moment of spring.

Thanks BeGreen . . . it's everything you said it was . . . and more . . . so much color and green. Still pretty dingy brown/yellow and gray here.

Status
Not open for further replies.