For GeeWee's who want to know . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

The following recommendations are based on nothing scientific other than my own experience . . .

If the holes in the skins are clean, some hi-temp silicon should probably work fine to keep air from being pulled through the opening where skin meets iron nipples. I have never taken the back skin off, but if its like the top skin, there is simply insulation beind the skin there. I would doubt that the use of a die-grinder would damage anything. I would probably remove as little as possible, attempting to not disturb the insulation. Then I would probably appy the RTF and call it good.

This all assumes that we are talking November. Anytime from April to say, Sept 1, I would recommend removing the skins an replacing them with quality SS with cleaning access panels.

Jimbo

Thanks Iseedeadbtu's,
For anyone interested I used a rotozip with the spiral down cut bit or should I say several bits. I carefully nibbled around the black iron pipe on the top and the back of the boiler. There is clearance behind the skin but I would still be cautious about how far the bit is extended past the skin. I sealed the new opening around the black iron with duct seal which is commonly known by electricians as "DUM DUM" I checked the back of my boiler were the return enters and the skin was contacting the black iron and oxidation, corrosion was starting to form. IseedeadBTU's saved me alot of future issuses with this heads up. Thanks Man!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.