For my small guest house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaddius Wenderoth

Feeling the Heat
Jan 21, 2013
it has the fact that it looks like a star wars droid going for it. :)

They sold out of these! This is what I was going to buy but when he was out of them I bought my 25-PDVC. I literally woke up that morning thinking I was coming home with that stove! I called him about a month ago and he said he had a few more he had to set up. Called him the day I was buying and he didn't have any left! I got my Englander instead and am not upset about it at all.

It would make sense to me to stay with what works for you. Besides knowing the stove well and probably having some spare parts too, why not get a refurbed pdvc from AMFM energy?

That Whitfield looks like a good deal to me. I think theres a guy here that burns nut shells in one like that. If you have access to those you might get some cheap heat too.

If someone offered me 200 for my all original working whit I would kiss the guy and move out of town quick. There is NO safeties on this and a total pain to properly keep clean. I still have a sales flier though. I would't trust this to run out of sight.

Reactions: Thaddius Wenderoth
You can always wire in a couple of snap disks to create over temp safeties. Did you email him via the link on the site?

Figure out a flame out sensor so fire don't go up the drop tube. Vacuum probably not needed as it just won't burn if the door is open. I would check into gas for temporary heat for your guest. I see a new gas stove on CL for 300 new. My freestanding gas stove was $100 used, $250 with pipe and backer board and tile.
Another thought, if your insurance sees that modification you probably wont have any insurance!

Attachments

• stove install.jpg
    stove install.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 117
Awesome advice guys. I appreciate your input. My home originally did not have gas running to it. I do now have a meter @ the guest house but no hook up beyond the meter. I will look into gas but I am probably going to go with a refurb 25-PDVC. I think that is a great price for an awsome stove. I may even go with the PDV for my main home and move the PDVC to the guest house.

You will have the peace of mind having a stove with modern safeties and manufacture with good customer support. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.