1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

For The Love Of Pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by CT Pellet, Dec 11, 2012.

1. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Leaving that one to the upper hierarchy around here ;)

Funny how I cant stand to pay for 100-150 gallons of oil to heat the water and help on the 2nd floor during cold spells. But when its time to plop down the cash for 4 tons of pellets, that is not so painful.

Great post !

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    I think it's because you can't see the oil you can't fondle the oil like pellets in the hopper .
  3. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I am by no means in the Upper Hierarchy...But I will weigh in with my unbiased opinion...Cuckoo Cuckoo!:p
    jtakeman likes this.
  4. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    For me it's about saving money period. If I break even against what I would normally shell out for NG then that's okay - but I will stop if I am paying more for pellets.
    -IF- I had an oil burner then that's a different story versus NG. My nephew is on his second tour in Afghanistan. Anything I can do to limit oil imports - I would do so...including paying more for pellets.
    As I burn NG - I understand the bulk of energy imports of NG for the NorthEast come from Canada.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  5. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    I think I can speak for everyone here that we Thank your nephew for his service. My son survived his tour over there that was 3 yrs ago re up'ed now in Korea.
    jjs777_fzr, Eatonpcat and briansol like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Takes one to know one! :p heeeeheeeehaaaahaaaa whohoo yuk yuk
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  7. ToddO

ToddO New Member

Loc:
    Mid Michigan
    Here's my story...Two years ago I spent about $4500 on propane. Last year I spent $4000 on my stove and about a grand on pellets and less than $1000 on propane. So this year I do believe my stove will have paid for it's self and above all else I don't have to listen to the wife complain that she's cold:)
  8. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    the cold wife multiplier trumps all
  9. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Haaa! Put a price tag on that, Huh?
    jjs777_fzr likes this.
  10. newf lover

newf lover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    My husband and I froze our butts off for years in our not well insulated house. In the winter I lived in the bedroom because the living room was routinely 62 degrees or below. Money was tight so we did nothing about it. My mother passed away and left some money, and a friend talked me into a pellet stove. The husband thought it was a stupid idea, but I researched different stoves, and made the purchase. Not only have we saved money, the house is warm as toast. Husband LOVES the stove, it is now classified as a brilliant idea. Only my Newfie is unhappy, she likes it cold. Also, did finally insulate the house better, so using even less pellets to keep the house warm.
  11. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    What the hell do us husbands know anyways?:(
    Psssst.............Guys, just play along here ;)
  12. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    I'm only here because it looked like a good place to look for a zumba teacher
    briansol likes this.
  13. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    CTP did you get your truckload of sawdust yet today?

==c
    briansol and Eatonpcat like this.
  14. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Keep it up Salty....the webmaster's gunna take away your birthday!
  15. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    YOUR Brilliant idea :cool:!!
  16. iron stove

iron stove Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    ;lol
    briansol likes this.
  17. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    Excellent post CTpellet, and interesting thread to follow is no surprise. I've never really burned wood and am not about to start at this point in my life...but I love the idea of a wood stove and that translates to loving the idea of a pellet stove. When I was a kid we burned coal in two stoves~ a coal chubby in the kitchen and another coal monster in the basement. The warmth that the chubby gave will never be forgotten.

So, loving the warmth that the M55 gives me (used to keep the thermo at 62 when using propane and hated to hear the damn furnace kick on!) Now the pellet auger drop is music to my ears and who cares where the thermo is...I'm warm!

The other thing I love is the thought that I can buy pellets in small increments when my budget allows, and I can shop around for various options again, as budget allows. I can either buy the good stuff from you and have it delivered (which I've done and will do again) or get the "shoulder" or better than "shoulder" pellets from the big boxes when I want.

Although I'm not splitting wood and stacking it, I love the busy work of gathering bags, stacking and loading the hopper....as well as the weekly maintenance. Helps me be more aware of maintaining my other "tools" as well.

So, yeah...great post and so true!! much more to it than the money savings....although the money savings is real!!! (especially over propane) and with the setup of my house.
  18. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Well, I have to credit the wife with the pellet stove purchase. With my son due at the end of September. We started looking for stoves. Once he was born, it was pushed to the front burner. Coming home to a cold house wasn't going to cut it with a new born. So she gets full credit. I'd still be slepping wood if she didn't insist.

So anytime she says I'm too fat. I remind her its all her fault. If I was still burning wood, I wouldn't have all this extra couch time. :p
  19. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Yeah....coal can be great, but even the washed bagged stuff can be a little messy. It comes down to radiant heat vs. forced hot air. Big difference, but the convenience of pellets is great!
  20. DRINKSFORALL

DRINKSFORALL Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ma.
    It boils down to the savings and knowing I am not subject to a commodity which doesn't have normal "supply and demand" rules!! That...and I like to have my drinks in front of a fire.
  21. MikeNH

MikeNH Member

Loc:
    Temple, NH
    I switched from wood heat to pellets for a couple of reasons. I've been splitting wood since I was a kid and I'm getting kinda tired of it, and my wood stove cracked, so seemed like a good time to make the move. Oil has always been a "backup" for me, and I really love the thought of knowing that my next winter's fuel is stored up on my own property. I don't have my new stove or pellets yet (end of the month), but I imagine I'll have the same warm, fuzzy feeling looking at several tons of pellets stored in my basement as I get when I look at several cords of wood stored in my yard. The feeling of "bought, paid for, delivered and safe."
  22. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Hey, I promised to lay off the fat jokes! I could care less if your a porker! Just make sure you keep your pellet stacks fat until I can get over there to thin them out for ya! :p

Shakes, What kind?
  23. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    Hey CT, a reality check for you....you've been a member here for 11 days and made 160 posts...you've got the 'sickness" too!!!
    will711 and jtakeman like this.
  24. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    A chubby in the kitchen ;lol;lol!!
    Eatonpcat and whlago like this.
  25. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    On the fast track to a full blown addict!
    Eatonpcat likes this.