1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

For Those of You that are Stomping Through the Woods...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Jags, May 2, 2013.

1. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    :eek:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    First time I saw a Northern Ringneck, it was so little it had gotten itself tangled in a cobweb under the porch rocker. I had no idea what it was, or if it were poisonous, so I got my gloves on to get it out. I was so unnerved though, so I asked my young neighbor who was washing his car if he would do the honors. He identified it as a copperhead, but I knew that it wasn't. I had him relocate it underneath the shed to get fat on bugs, and later on vermin.
  3. westkywood

westkywood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Snakes do not care for their young. Babies are on their own.
  4. westkywood

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Why? Can you explain why you hate them so much? Just always interested in hearing why.
  5. westkywood

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Ha. EVERY snake is identified as a Copperhead. Or if its near water, its gotta be a Cottonmouth.
    firebroad likes this.
  6. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    If you're worried about serious injury, stinging insects kill more people than snakes kill. I can tolerate bees, which at least serve a purpose, but I really have no patience for Yellowjackets and Hornets. Not like I can do much about them except swear at them or come back on a cool night with bug spray.
  7. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    I see poisonous snakes just as frequently as I see unicorns, and I'm not reactive to bees/hornets/wasps...but I hates me some ticks (had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever). I dont even wear shorts when walking in or near the woods anymore. Deet from ankles to hat, dryer sheets in pockets (have no idea if that works really, but I read it somewheres). Never again! Bloodthirsty savages.
  8. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN

They just freak me out and are completely disgusting. The place I grew up at had harmless garter snakes everywhere. You are walking around the yard and all of a sudden one jumps out and "bites" you.

Don't worry, I don't just hate snakes. I kill spiders too.
  9. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN

Use products with permethrin instead of deet. Much much better tick repellent. (http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/deet-versus-permethrin-as-a-tick-repellent)
    Delta-T likes this.
  10. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    Where I live there are only 2 snakes that dangerous to humans the Western Rattle snake and the Plains Rattle snake. At my altitude of 8500 feet asl we seldom see any snakes. I think it is due more to the harsh winters than altitude. Snakes eat a lot of mice and other rodent type pests. The rodents here carry the plague or the hantavirus. I would rather have the snakes than the rodents.
  11. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I hate insects of any sort. If it naturally has more than 4 legs i don't like it. That being said, if its outside it can do its own thing. Except sink bugs. I kill those because I'm positive it'll end up in my house if i don't kill it. Some people get those lady bugs (Japanese beetles), where i live its sink bugs.
    If it naturally has 4 legs or less it doesn't bother me. Snakes, worms, frogs, hell, even leaches don't bother me.