For those of you who do the hiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have stated it here previously, but the best cover letter I ever got had an intro, then a bulleted list of the job requirements, and how the candidate's experience satisfied each point. Very effective

I may have to give that a try

Thanks for all the great feedback! To clarify---
My initial information was sent via email with the exception of one online submission to a very large organization.

Just some more advice.
Don't make the same mistakes I did. The job offers I refused were close in wages and benefits, but I didn't accept them because they were "not bettering" myself.
Then, after being laid off for awhile, I accepted the first offer which came along. (An company contacted me). Only thing is, I was happy to get off unemployment and accepted a low wage-my own fault. In addition to the same work for almost 40% less money, I ended up driving over 4 hrs a day to and from work....
At that point, I sure wish I had accepted one of the first offers.

This week I've put in my resume for a few jobs that I suspect attracted a high volume of resumes. The contact person at three of them has emailed me to let me know to let me know when they will be advancing the process. Do I email back a "thank you for letting me know" to be proper, or will that just further clutter the inbox in an annoying way.

I know these are the small details, but there is a subtle dance here. I'm trying to stay with the music while not stepping on toes.
Real mail works better than email if you decide to do anything.

Real mail works better than email if you decide to do anything.
I would only use snail mail as a backup correspondence to accept an offer. Email is pretty much the lingua franca these days in the biz world.

If you snail mail a resume they just have to scan it into the software that round files the unqualified. They can feed an attachment to it with two clicks. Do the salary negotiation and acceptance in person or a phone conversation.

And the first offer ain't the part of the range they are parked on. They have more in their pocket., You are the best kind of job hunter. One that has a job already.

+1 on Adios's...
Good luck Ms. K! (Unless it's a gig as a principal ;))

I would only use snail mail as a backup correspondence to accept an offer. Email is pretty much the lingua franca these days in the biz world.

When I was working I only opened email from addresses I recognized. Either my assistant or I would go through all but "junk" snail mail.

+1 on Adios's...
Good luck Ms. K! (Unless it's a gig as a principal ;))

Nope. You couldn't pay me in bars of gold to do that job. Looking for new challenges out of the education biz.

All of these jobs requested resume sent via email.

mi no help, had exactly 2 full time jobs in my life, the first involved raising my hand the second involved walking in and shaking a hand, never wrote a resume in my life , doubt I ever will

I wish ya luck mrs K! hope it works out well for you

mi no help, had exactly 2 full time jobs in my life, the first involved raising my hand the second involved walking in and shaking a hand, never wrote a resume in my life , doubt I ever will

I wish ya luck mrs K! hope it works out well for you

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but you sound like a first rate educator to me.

May be too late, but some more advice:

1. Use correct letter format, punctuation, and grammar on EVERYTHING you send along. Every year, I get an email (which I share with students, usually while chastising the sender) that says "I was wondering if there is any jobs available." If you're not a good writer, have a cultivated speaker of English peruse it first.

2. When responding, assume the positive and insert more information e.g. times you're available to meet, who you might call to check in, etc. Essentially, keep the dialogue open.

3. Check in after 2-3 days.

4. If you happen to discover who exactly will be doing the hiring, request a quick meeting to ask some specific questions. This can turn into an informal interview and, if you're likeable and capable, you might jump ahead of the line.

Best,

S

Reactions: Mrs. Krabappel
Nope. You couldn't pay me in bars of gold to do that job. Looking for new challenges out of the education biz.

All of these jobs requested resume sent via email.
I have to believe that the education system is on the loosing end of this deal. Good luck to ya in the hunt

Ah, thanks. The rogues who took charge of North Carolina helped to remind me that I have other options, so I am exploring them. I'm mostly applying for ~Director of Education~ type jobs at nature centers, zoos, and the like, so I guess that's still the education biz. I have an interview for a great opportunity next Saturday.

Reactions: Jags and osagebow
I have always appreciated a thank you as it shows that the prospect is still interested. Nothing back, to the circular file it goes.

Ah, thanks. The rogues who took charge of North Carolina helped to remind me that I have other options, so I am exploring them. I'm mostly applying for ~Director of Education~ type jobs at nature centers, zoos, and the like, so I guess that's still the education biz. I have an interview for a great opportunity next Saturday.

Don't neglect the marine biology sector, we all need a warm, sunny, beachy place to visit right about now, besides my daughter (age 10) needs a contact in the field!

Status
Not open for further replies.