For those of you who have painted your stoves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendainNJ

Nov 6, 2010
NW NJ
Our Enviro stove is 3 yrs. old and has developed some rust on the insides. My husband plans to scrape & repaint before starting it up this year. (it's been mild in NJ!) How long should it take after firing up for the fumes to burn off? A couple days, a week...longer? The reason I ask is that we have a bird and fumes are a definite no-no. She can be kept in another room but not sure if that's enough or we'll have to ship her off somewhere for the burn-off time.

Thanks!

Our Enviro stove is 3 yrs. old and has developed some rust on the insides. My husband plans to scrape & repaint before starting it up this year. (it's been mild in NJ!) How long should it take after firing up for the fumes to burn off? A couple days, a week...longer? The reason I ask is that we have a bird and fumes are a definite no-no. She can be kept in another room but not sure if that's enough or we'll have to ship her off somewhere for the burn-off time.

Thanks!
Perhaps move the stove outside and do a burn out there for a few hours to remove most of the paint burn off?

If your painting the inside wont any burnoff fumes be sucked outside w the exhaust? I painted my inside never smelled a thing after the paint dried

I paint mine inside every year and still get the smell. So I guess it depends on the stove.

If your painting the inside wont any burnoff fumes be sucked outside w the exhaust? I painted my inside never smelled a thing after the paint dried
Same thing I was thinking. I painted the firebox of mine and didn't smell anything either.

OK, I guess I didn't think it through enough--hopefully since it is the inside we won't smell it. Thanks everyone; I feel much better now!

Not to worry, the paint will all burn off in a couple days too

Status
Not open for further replies.