For those of you who may have draft problems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
Just a little info that surprised me. I know that the more elbows in a run of pipe slows down draft, but in my case I have always had an excessive draft issue with both my wood stove and fireplace. Fixed the fireplace issue last year but could never get a handle on the wood stove. Set up was a straight shot up through the roof, no bends or elbows. Tried manual damper, didn't help much. Tried a barometric even though I know they aren't the best for wood stoves, didn't help much either. Then a few weeks ago I decided to move the stove out a few inches solely for aesthetics and in doing so I had to add an elbow making a small offset to be able to line the pipe up now that the stove was moved out a few inches. Fired up the stove and I couldn't believe how much that small offset changed the draft. Excessive draft gone. I can now control the fire and am averaging approx 2 hrs more per load of wood. So those of you with excessive draft may benefit this info and those who are not getting enough draft, this shows that the eliminating of even a small bend in your pipe can greatly increase your draft.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that tip Michael. Did you offset with a pair of 90s or 45 deg elbows?

What a great observation! Thanks for posting that.

I used two 45's connected directly together to form the offset and it was perfect for the distance I needed to move the stove forward. Im still amazed on the difference it made!

Awesome. Wish I couldtry that on my current set up, but I vent straight back into a prexisting chimney.

Hey Michael

Great tip thanks for posting it!!

Billy

Nothing throws light into unknown corners like a before-and-after comparison where one thing is changed and everything else (stove, chimney, fuel) is unchanged... or in other words, a controlled experiment. Hard to do and not often seen in the wood heat field thanks to the size and expense of our installations.

Thanks for posting... I'm surprised at the result too (and any scientist will tell you that their favorite thing is to be surprised by their experiment results).

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.