For those that dont think sealing up is important...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nshif

Today I saw further evidence that air leaks can rob you of alot of warmth. Im building a 2000 sq ft house in the Sierras. It has been insulated (R19 walls, R35 ceiling and floor. All windows duel pain low e. Half drywalled, the rest is knotty pine which Im installing now. Outside is all 3/4 Cedar T&G over 3/8" sheathing with Tyvek. All penetration's sealed sealed with foam. ) This morning (22Degrees) I lit off my Temp heat (Mr Heater 3 burner) and waited for things to warm up. It usually takes awhile ( 22' high ceiling in the front third) 2 hours later it didnt seem that much warmer but I went to work. I climbed up on the scaffolding and was reminded there was still a 1/2" gap over the front double doors open to the outside. Igrabbed a can of spray foam, filled the gap and there was a noticeable difference in 30 min. In an hour it was probably 10 degrees warmer in there.
If you have leaks SEAL EM! This cost me less then 2$ and will save me a bunch of propane.

Way to go nshif. A 1/2" gap x 36" = 18 sq. in. or the same as having a 6" x 3" hole in the wall.

The thing that has amazed me is that when you are trying to heat the place up a small crack like that can do a lot of damage.

But when you have a bunch of people over, its -15°F and the last thing you want is for them to be cold so you load up the stove with the good stuff. Soon the house temps are pushing 90°F and you have to open every window in the place.

Yep, I'm still finding gaps around doors and windows to fill. Also makes a big difference when the wind blows. That is when I can really find the leaks. Another place you can find leaks is where the house sits on top of your basement block foundation or sill plate. When I had an energy star inspection, he hooked up a huge fan to the front door opening and sucked the air out of the house which in turn sucked air into hidden gaps. The biggest gap was along that sill plate, and my fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.