For those thinking of a new wood burner!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
I had PE Pacific insert installed mid Feb. last year. This is the first year I have been able to truly enjoy it and get a good idea of how much money I am saving. My house is two story 2300 square feet, open floor plan. All electric with Bryant heat pump. My average electric bill this time of year and frigid temps we are having was @350.00 dollars. Have been burning pretty much non-stop. Electric bill came today. $165.00 dollars. Just a thought for those trying to decide if its worth it. House is warmer with good fire and heat pump set to run only a few hours at night. Peace of mind having a backup if electric goes out. I am now convinced this is the only way to a warm cheap winter!

I just put a deposit on PE Super Insert, so I'm excited reading your post. I'm in Oregon, so it doesn't get too cold here, but that means this stove should have no problem heating out 2000 sq ft house.

I've been heating 1450 sq. ft. w/same stove since Oct. and furnace has not been on once.

This is my third Winter in our house. First year no stove and 1600 gallons of oil.
Second year bought stove and re-insulated attic. Down to about 1150 gallons and the house was a lot warmer.
This year I've been a burning a lot, and from Oct 15 to today I've burned 345 gallons. I'm guessing I'll burn less than last year, but I'm keeping the house steady at 60 degrees and pushing it up with the insert to 72-75 before bed/work/weekend.

The wood is free so if I count the price of oil at $2.50 the insulation paid for itself in a year, and the insert will take about 5 years. Not really a money maker but I feel better about the world knowing at least when it all falls apart we can heat the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.