For those with pellet stoves on programmable stats.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
Just wondering what you all run your stoves at when you are home and want heat, and how far you set back the temp when you are not home or sleeping. I set mine at 68 when I'm not home or sleeping, and 69-70 when I'm home. You would not believe the difference between 67 degrees and 68 degrees in my house.

I have a programmable stat.

Its always on hold temp.

smoke show said:

Its always on hold temp.

Same here. Currently it's on 74 because it's been warm. But, I generally leave it on 76 so that the rest of the house gets to 70-72.

smoke show said:

Its always on hold temp.

Mine too! We come and go so randomly that I just set it to my normal 77F when we are home and want heat. When gone, I shut the stove down and let the natural gas furnace keep the house at 65F. Actually, I don't touch either thermostat. I leave the stove's at 77F and the stove in hi/low mode. It is constantly calling for heat when it's off, but it doesn't seem to be affecting battery life. When we walk in the door, I hit the power switch on the stove and it brings the temp up to 77F. When we go to bed I shut it off and then the furnace makes sure things stay at 65F or above. Works for me!

70 °F for times I'm home, 66 at night and when the house is empty during the day.

We use setback for both away and sleeping. Don't need as much heat while under the covers. Saves some fuel for me. But then I waste it while we are active. Crank it to at least 72ºF :)

j-takeman said:
Crank it to at least 72ºF :)

I think it's more like "the wifey (boss) MAKES me crank it to at least 72ºF" :red:

j-takeman said:
But the reason I can turn the heat down while under the covers! :cheese: :p

Hey, I got one of those heat producers too.....it's always a 1 dog night at my place......she keeps my feet warm. ;-P

smoke show said:
John97 said:
imacman said:
j-takeman said:
Crank it to at least 72ºF :)

I think it's more like "the wifey (boss) MAKES me crank it to at least 72ºF" :red:

Most of us probably thought we wouldn't have to crank anything after getting married...

She wasn't kidding when she said you better start pulling your load. :lol:

Well done, sir.

I've put my t-stat upstairs and set it to hold 23C (73F) when we're home and not sleeping, and drop to 21.5C (71F) when we're away. The stove in the basement recovers that 1.5 degrees pretty quickly.

My god, you people all want to be in the tropics with those temps :)

62 degrees. Toasty warm.

Less than a month having the tstat setup, so I'm still experimenting. 72 occupied, 60 unoccupied. My guess is I'll need to up the unoccupied temperature when the cold air arrives... but so far it's been mild enough for the stove to recover pretty quickly from 60.

currently,

68 for alive times
66 for out and sleep times
I may drop this to 65 or 4 as i've been hot at night lately waking up sweaty :/

But, my T-stat is on the same wall as my stove (effeftively behind the stove) and on an outside north wall. So, the temp it sees may actually be a few degrees cooler that what the living area feels.

The house layout and circulation is a big factor with temps. I personally don't like it at 68 in most of the house, but the outer skirts don't get the full heat. In order to keep those 64-ish, by the stove needs to be 3-4 degrees warmer.

abrucerd said:
Less than a month having the tstat setup, so I'm still experimenting. 72 occupied, 60 unoccupied. My guess is I'll need to up the unoccupied temperature when the cold air arrives... but so far it's been mild enough for the stove to recover pretty quickly from 60.

2 ways to help if it struggles to recoup. Don't go as low, most say 6ºF set back is doable and thats about all they recommend even with an oil furnace. Second is to start the warm up sooner, Give it more time before you get home so its warm for you. Just trying to help. ;-)

60 during the day, 60-65 at night, and 65-70 over the weekend. I work in a partially heated shop all day so 60 feels warm. :)

j-takeman said:
abrucerd said:

2 ways to help if it struggles to recoup. Don't go as low, most say 6ºF set back is doable and thats about all they recommend even with an oil furnace. Second is to start the warm up sooner, Give it more time before you get home so its warm for you. Just trying to help. ;-)

Thanks! Exactly what I'll probably be testing during the cold spell

This morning I had the warm up start at 4:45... house was 72 when I went into the shower at 6am. Success so far... though tonight/tomorrow morning will be the REAL test (Forecast Low: °3 F)

I keep it at 68* all the time. This keeps the upstairs at a pretty consistent 66*. When we heated with Oil, the T-stats were 62 when we were home and 60 when away, so the temps with the pellet stove are nice and toasty for us.

Keeping mine at 60 with a swing temperature of .5 although my stove stays on regardless of if the thermostat is calling for heat or not. Also to note, this is in a garage where there is a ton of open space and the thermostat is 35 feet from the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.