For those with the PE Super Insert...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abd1

Dec 30, 2009
United States
I put a deposit on the a PE Super Insert this past week. Today, the installed stopped by to do a site eval on our masonry fireplace. Everything looks pretty good except the clearance between the top of the insert and our mantel isn't enough for code. We already decided we were going to replace the mantel anyway since its just white painted 2x4's. However, I'm really confused by how much clearance we need from the top of the insert to the mantel. The brochure says we need 30", if we don't use a mantel shield which we weren't planning on. However, the manual online says we need 24". It looks like the stove body without the surround is about 21" off the floor, and our hearth is flush with the floor. Our brick surround is 38.5" tall from the hearth to the mantel. That means we'll have about 17.5" from the stove body to the mantel, so it appears either way we're short. What I'm wondering is why the brochure and manual say different things and what have you all done in your installations? I really didn't want this to become a major project, so I'm hoping there's a simple inexpensive solution.

One solution is to install a non-combustible mantel made of stone or similar material. Another solution would be to have a high faceboard over the tile section that raises the height of the mantel to the required distance. Or just install a mantel shield. Attached to the bottom of the mantel it is not much more than a bent piece of metal and quite inexpensive.

Get the mantel shield. It's not expensive and helps to better direct warm air into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.