For you plumbing experts - Plumbing the dip tub in my tanks? Help!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
I finally tore off the 5 different valves/fittings that came on my new 500 gallon propane tanks yesterday. Here is my dilemma - I'd like to use the 1.5" opening to run a 1" pipe to the bottom of the tank for cold water return. Is there any way I can do this without welding? I've been trying to think of how I could do this with bushings, nipples, etc but I haven't come up with a solution yet. A 1.5" x 1" busing won't have enough thread to handle both the pipe in the tank and a pipe/nipple out the top of the tank??

The tanks came with a factory dip tube but they are only 3/4". So my plan is to cap the (2) 3/4" holes in the tanks, cap one of the 1" holes, use (1) 1" opening for hot on top and use the 1.5" opening for the dip tube (if possible). So if anyone can tell me how to get a 1" pipe in the hole and connected out the top without welding I would owe you my first born! Thanks.....

I don't have a detailed plan but here's something to consider. There are compression fittings available in large tubing sizes and copper 1" pipe size. I know swagelok makes them. If you could get the 1" copper pipe size to a 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 mpt thread, you could drill out the fitting so the tube will just slide through it and adjust to the length you need. Tighten the compression nut around the end sticking out and your done. The one caveat you don't want to hear is the fitting price. I would guess 80 bucks up for a brass one. Maybe more. I am thinking you could just have a steel dip tube welded to the bottom of the bushing you have an thread the supply pipe to that. At least that could be done at a welding shop.

Oh-about that first born..........................

Mike

What I did was weld in 1 1/4 couplings. I then took 1 1/4" CxM adaptors, machined out the inside stop so 1 1/4 copper tubing can slide through. Then sweat the pipe to the adapter at whatever height you choose.

I know you don't want to weld, just be careful. There are tapered threads and straight threads in this world. Some threads I know on my tank were straight threads I know the 1 1/4 was for the fill tube was and one 3/4. You will be able to screw a tapered standard pipe thread black iron in but it probably will leak and you will end up welding them anyway. Some guys use weld-o-lets too.

Bob

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm still deep in thought here.

Unfortunately my tanks do not have drains on the bottom. If they did my problem would be solved!

If anyone else has some thoughts feel free to chime in. Thanks!

stee6043 said:
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm still deep in thought here.

Unfortunately my tanks do not have drains on the bottom. If they did my problem would be solved!

If anyone else has some thoughts feel free to chime in. Thanks!

Ok I was told by the guys I bought my tanks from they all have to have a drain?

They either have a drain in the bottom or a dip tube from the top to allow for draining. Regulations require that propane tanks be able to be drained within a certain percentage of full. I can assure you my tanks have no holes in the bottom. I wish they did, I really do....

Here is what I did on my propane tank. Get a 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 reducer busing. I believe a 1" pipe will slip right through the 1-1/4 bushing. Measure how much you want to extend into the tank. Then have the 1" pipe welded into the 1-1/4 bushing. I'm not a great welder, so I did my welding on the top side as best I could, anticipated pinhole leaks, and then filled the bottom side with high temp silicon to seal it up. I've used that now since last March without incident.

You can do the same think with a copper fitting. Use a 1-1/2 reducer to 1", slide a 1" pipe through the fitting as far into the tank as you want, and then solder the 1" pipe into the fitting.

Man as I laid on my back today plumbing my return lines from the bottom of my tanks all I was thinking about was WHAT A PAIN!!!! no room to work. I was thinking I wish I had to build some dip tubes and do everything from the topside. Want to trade them tanks with no bottom drain???? LOL!!

Rob

Ha. If it didn't take an act of God to get them in my basement I'd say sure! But they are in now and they are staying put! I hope yours goes well. I dropped the tubes in my tanks so I could stack them. I'm simply going to use epoxy to affix the copper to the end of a nipple. Hopefully it works....

I used some JB weld to seal up a pinhole that I had. Worked fine. The stuff is supposed to be good to over 300 degrees F. I wonder if you could use the couplings and JB weld them up if you didn't want to actually weld them. Just something you could tinker with. a pack of JB weld epoxy is only like $4.50 so it would be cheap to try too.

Status
Not open for further replies.