Force Air Pellet Furnance options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcvinnie

Jan 31, 2014
Wisconsin
I will be building a new home this spring and looking into some heating alternatives and wondering if a pellet Furnance is a recommended option Vs. LP. What are the top models and average cost to operate. Do intend to have a Pacific energy wood stove on the main level. Thanks

You probably would need to have electric or gas as some form of central heating system to get a mortgage and or insurance. I would highly recommend you call some geothermal companies with the 30% tax credit as well as maybe local rebates its possible it would cost the same as a LP system. Tied in with your mortgage you would probably only be looking at dollars per month more if there is any difference.

If you did opt for a LP system and added in the cost of a pellet furnace you may in fact be spending more money then if you just put a geothermal system in the house to start with.

Reactions: Madcodger
You probably would need to have electric or gas as some form of central heating system to get a mortgage and or insurance. I would highly recommend you call some geothermal companies with the 30% tax credit as well as maybe local rebates its possible it would cost the same as a LP system. Tied in with your mortgage you would probably only be looking at dollars per month more if there is any difference.

If you did opt for a LP system and added in the cost of a pellet furnace you may in fact be spending more money then if you just put a geothermal system in the house to start with.

My last home had Geo with a
Fire place insert, this was a great system but very expensive. The house I am building will be approx 1000 sq ft main floor with approximately 300sq ft loft area. I may consider LP with the wood stove. Not sure I can justify installing a Geo system at approx. 30k . Geo is great but spendy!!

My last home had Geo with a
Fire place insert, this was a great system but very expensive. The house I am building will be approx 1000 sq ft main floor with approximately 300sq ft loft area. I may consider LP with the wood stove. Not sure I can justify installing a Geo system at approx. 30k . Geo is great but spendy!!

I would look into it for a newly built 1000sq ft house you would need a very very small system probably only 2 ton. You have to pay for ductwork anyways. Not much drilling or digging, digging is cheap. Id be surprised if it was over 15k before credits. You are probably looking at 6-8k for a propane system that will not get used. These numbers are wild guesses.

I agree with Moey If I was building a new house I would definitely check on Geo. In our area in a new install 15-20 k sounds reasonable. I really like my pellet stove and if I had the room I opt for a furnace along side the Propain but a new house would be a no brainer. Go Geo.
Ron

Solar might be possible as prices on net metering PV systems have come down in price and a hot water solar system can be circulated through a gas, electric or oil furnace with a coil installed. As for an A/C system, a regular one would be supplanted by the PV system to keep cost down. You would not need a pellet stove unless you want one, even then a regular wood stove might work for you just as a back up.

Solar might be possible as prices on net metering PV systems have come down in price and a hot water solar system can be circulated through a gas, electric or oil furnace with a coil installed. As for an A/C system, a regular one would be supplanted by the PV system to keep cost down. You would not need a pellet stove unless you want one, even then a regular wood stove might work for you just as a back up.
I like the solar HW idea and looked at doing it a few years back, but you really need some serious amount of panels to supply a forced air exchanger coil when it's cold out, and of course you're toast on bad weather days. It's a great idea for domestic HW and maybe even radiant in-floor (with backup heat source for both), but for forced air I'm rather skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.