Ford F150 Ecoboost vs Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have driven similar diesels as far as horse power and torque dogs when loaded and I wouldn't go any where near 9000lbs with coil springs in the rear. Nice for the ride bad for heavy weight. What they have built is a Cadillac riding truck with a diesel getting decent gas mileage for a truck. Nice for taking family to the mall and hauling light weight but wouldn't try a 1600lb load in the bed with coil springs you'll be looking at the stars

Good point big papa. I am intrigued by the link Combat Chris posted with the mileage differences. I would've never thought the ED would get that many more MPGs. I expected some but to me that seems pretty drastic

Well the forum we read that from was ram 1500 ecodiesel site. I think the mileage is a little off as well when Edmonds tested this ecodiesel for a month it averaged 22mpg mostly unloaded trips wich is about 2 mpg better than my ecoboost gets on a trip. It's all sale hype.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I saw that and was thinking the same thing

My opinion is biased to ford I've tried the other trucks never owned a better truck than the ford less rust more miles all around more reliable I wouldn't touch that doge.

I love my '10 F150 SCrew 5.4. Only has 38k on it as I run jobs when we are busy and get a company truck. We are a pretty good size company probably over 150 Ford trucks. The 08 F150 SCrew I have now has almost 219k on it and I drive it every day

Reactions: Big papa
I've never owned a doge that made it to 100,000 miles. Ive owned 6 ford trucks since 1979 everyone of them went well over 200,000 miles before any major issues including one that made it to 300,000

Before buying a truck I look at what others use and how they hold up comparing them all at 5,7,and ten years old lets say. I'm here to tell ya I've never seen any other truck or car for that matter rust as fast as a doge atleast where I live anyway.

I have owned all brands. 2000 z71 250,000 miles 5.3l 46re good truck still runs and drives,99 expedition bought with bad trans put new trans in it 5.4l triton awesome ride gave it away no resale275,000miles, dodge half tons buy for $500 and swap parts to beat on. no resale value with automatics. 99 f250 plow truck 5.4L auto never take out of low range.,92 f250 plow truck 5.4l auto good truck but rotted frame,75 f250 highboy 360 4 speed,78 chevy 3/4 ton 350 4speed, 84 chevy 1 ton 454 4speed, 98 chevy 3/4 ton 6.5L diesel 300,000 miles

2wd trucks: 79 chevy 5.7 l diesel, 220,000 miles blew rod out block replaced with 350 gas and tricked out.

driven many for plowing and wreckers, 7.3L, 6.9L,power strokes, international 466, Detroit, cats, duramax, 6.2L

they all go the miles you just need to know what you expect out of them and what you are willing to pay for repairs, if you are a high mile person.

Now I won't buy a half ton until they put a standard transmission back in them. So this time my first new truck had to be 3/4 ton to get a standard.

in my family we have had many dodges in excess of 200,000 miles, fords and chevys too.

Truck Brand loyalty is old school. component loyalty is the new way.

If you research the dodge eco diesel you will be surprised who owns it and what trucks they may end up in!

Its like building a computer now: price points and chose the components.

Last edited:
I'm here to tell ya I've never seen any other truck or car for that matter rust as fast as a doge atleast where I live anyway.
The fact is all brands rust! depends how you care for them. especially in the salt areas we live in!

Well I see what I see do some homework check out all the brands during ur day out see wich ones have the most rust in your area. I'm on the road a lot so I see a lot. Let me know what ya find

I have owned all brands. 2000 z71 250,000 miles 5.3l 46re good truck still runs and drives,99 expedition bought with bad trans put new trans in it 5.4l triton awesome ride gave it away no resale275,000miles, dodge half tons buy for $500 and swap parts to beat on. no resale value with automatics. 99 f250 plow truck 5.4L auto never take out of low range.,92 f250 plow truck 5.4l auto good truck but rotted frame,75 f250 highboy 360 4 speed,78 chevy 3/4 ton 350 4speed, 84 chevy 1 ton 454 4speed, 98 chevy 3/4 ton 6.5L diesel 300,000 miles

2wd trucks: 79 chevy 5.7 l diesel, 220,000 miles blew rod out block replaced with 350 gas and tricked out.

driven many for plowing and wreckers, 7.3L, 6.9L,power strokes, international 466, Detroit, cats, duramax, 6.2L

they all go the miles you just need to know what you expect out of them and what you are willing to pay for repairs, if you are a high mile person.

Now I won't buy a half ton until they put a standard transmission back in them. So this time my first new truck had to be 3/4 ton to get a standard.

in my family we have had many dodges in excess of 200,000 miles, fords and chevys too.

Truck Brand loyalty is old school. component loyalty is the new way.

If you research the dodge eco diesel you will be surprised who owns it and what trucks they may end up in!

Its like building a computer now: price points and chose the components.
Since I see u have owned a couple of trucks in ur time wich would you value the best

I hear yah! On the rust. the best thing we can do for any brand truck now is use fluid film and keep them oiled.
No one seems to want to undercoat their vehicles anymore because they buy into the rust warranty promise. better to undercoat!

I value my 75 ford f250 the best. But that one rusted away too! still got $ 2500 for it when I sold it.
restoring the one in my avater now.
loved my 78 chevy 3/4 ton with 4 speed.

The dodge half tons I buy now are just junkers that I buy for the kids to beat on. they are cheap no resale value.

I ran an 86 f350 wrecker with a 9' fisher plow with a 6.9l NA diesel for 300,000 miles and then replaced engine with a 7.3L NA ran another 100,000 plus then sold as cab and chassis to fire department for a brush truck. now it lives as a plow truck for a private guy in town. one awesome truck.
always wash after salt and when dry you oil it again.

I value my 75 ford f250 the best. But that one rusted away too! still got $ 2500 for it when I sold it.
restoring the one in my avater now.
loved my 78 chevy 3/4 ton with 4 speed.

The dodge half tons I buy now are just junkers that I buy for the kids to beat on. they are cheap no resale value.

I ran an 86 f350 wrecker with a 9' fisher plow with a 6.9l NA diesel for 300,000 miles and then replaced engine with a 7.3L NA ran another 100,000 plus then sold as cab and chassis to fire department for a brush truck. now it lives as a plow truck for a private guy in town. one awesome truck.
always wash after salt and when dry you oil it again.
Thanks for the input I'm a little biased when it comes to trucks but hope we gave the original post some good insight to make an informed purchase

I remember reading when the EcoDiesel came out the tow rating was ~9300 lbs compared to an Eco Boost 3.5L twin turbo having up to 11,300 configured correctly. I can tow 9300 with my '10 SCrew F150 with the ol' 5.4L. And I got these nice stickers to compliment my '10 XLT ;) The other flavors usually give me the one finger salute
80-picture_php_pictureid_77571_25fc35203984ddd139390a5dd544bf8c3d1c19d3.jpg
Hey d8chumley where do I get my stickers for the fx4

Yeah the old timers in my area are ford loyal. They are not happy right now. one had to buy a automatic he never had one in his life, but he wanted a half ton for the ride. another still uses his 72 f250 for plowing and sanding, and is unhappy with his 7.3l f350 because it doesn't start in the cold.
Jury is still out on my new dodge, but if it rots ill put a flat bed on it and keep driving it. weld and patch my way to 20 years im sure. 3/4 ton and 1 tons are worth rebuilding at higher miles to get resale if that is a concern for you.
Love the cummins with a standard and jake brake!
I will restore a 4wd f350 and put a new cummins 12v in my next build. with a dump body.

my sons 2001 dodge 2500 is just starting to rust on rockers now and is at 190,000miles no major work yet. 22-28 mpgs. need to look at his starter this weekend, but that's cheap.
my brother just went round trip to Tennessee from ny in his 200,000 mile 2wd 2500 cummins towing a trailer at 10 over the speed limit. he averaged 25mpgs.

Love truck banter.
$3000- 6000 transmission replacements for the automatics are a scary thought for me.
But a duramax with an Allison is a good performer too. little pricey on the engine repairs if you get a bad one, but if kept stock usually good.

Yeah the old timers in my area are ford loyal. They are not happy right now. one had to buy a automatic he never had one in his life, but he wanted a half ton for the ride. another still uses his 72 f250 for plowing and sanding, and is unhappy with his 7.3l f350 because it doesn't start in the cold.
Jury is still out on my new dodge, but if it rots ill put a flat bed on it and keep driving it. weld and patch my way to 20 years im sure. 3/4 ton and 1 tons are worth rebuilding at higher miles to get resale if that is a concern for you.
Love the cummins with a standard and jake brake!
I will restore a 4wd f350 and put a new cummins 12v in my next build. with a dump body.

my sons 2001 dodge 2500 is just starting to rust on rockers now and is at 190,000miles no major work yet. 22-28 mpgs. need to look at his starter this weekend, but that's cheap.
my brother just went round trip to Tennessee from ny in his 200,000 mile 2wd 2500 cummins towing a trailer at 10 over the speed limit. he averaged 25mpgs.

Love truck banter.
$3000- 6000 transmission replacements for the automatics are a scary thought for me.
But a duramax with an Allison is a good performer too. little pricey on the engine repairs if you get a bad one, but if kept stock usually good.
Yeah the prob with standard transmission from what I've been told is hard to find parts and most transmission shops don't like working on them for this reason. And the dura max would definitely look at it if I was in the market for a diesel instead of the ecodiesel in same price range and is proven technology with lots more power and torque

Yeah the prob with standard transmission from what I've been told is hard to find parts and most transmission shops don't like working on them for this reason
There are many shops out west that are not scared if you don't do your own work. they will ship a whole rebuild kit overnight no problem if you do. I have never had to rebuild any of my standards just a few clutches. rebuilt many shift towers on 1 ton chevy plow trucks due to the constant reverse abuse.(for customers)
The new autos are drivability problematic after a few hundred thousand miles. especially dodge auto trans.

I was just saying in general for maybe those having their trucks repaired for example a business not having time to fix themselves and having to take to a repair shop

Most parts stores are not stocking like they used too on all components. so resourcefulness is crucial so the bay and lift does not get tied up. you are correct most shops won't get into a rebuild on a transmission. R and R is more profitable and spreads the risk of comebacks.
2wd auto trans for a 2500 ram is $4500 before labor just as an example.
standards if needing a rebuild usually just bearing noise or chipped/warn gear, but still driveable.

Well I see what I see do some homework check out all the brands during ur day out see wich ones have the most rust in your area. I'm on the road a lot so I see a lot. Let me know what ya find

I have nothing against any of the manufactures these days. Performance is similar across the board, in my opinion the only true difference is looks. But, it seems like any Dodge pickups I see that are more than 5 or 6 years old all have rusted fenders and bumpers.

I have nothing against any of the manufactures these days. Performance is similar across the board, in my opinion the only true difference is looks. But, it seems like any Dodge pickups I see that are more than 5 or 6 years old all have rusted fenders and bumpers.
I agree that all perform well.
But all have their faults. ford and chevy have frame rot problems. rockers and cab corners go on all trucks eventually.

My new dodge has very thin bumpers, but they are steel. When they rot I will build new bumpers. best thing for all new bumpers is to take them off and paint and seal the back side of the bumper.
all vehicles are built and shipped to last only to outlive the warranty to maximize profit. One must be smarter than the average bear to extend the life beyond that at minimal costs.

At the new prices preventive maintenance should become the norm in a cost to own calculation.

I have a 2014 Jeep AWD GC eco diesel and crested 18,000 miles yesterday. I can get 30mpg...if I drive on the highway... not faster than 60mph....for the whole tank...which would be over 700 miles. The fuel tank is 25gal.

That being said, most of my tanks have yield ago 24-26mpg with a decent amount of highway and city. If it is heavier towards city driving it will be 22mpg. I almost always go somewhere between 5-600 miles before refueling.

Power is good. At freeway speeds, when you want to pass, there is plenty of torque to get you going. The German made ZF transmission is excellent; it can drop two gears at once.

All in all, I like it.

What's the price for a similar equipped crew cab EcoBoost and EcoDiesel?

For some reason I could not build a Ram with the shorter bed, standard cab, EcoDiesel. So I had to go with the long bed.

Both have the lowest and cheapest trim package, the cheapest cab/bed configuration which allows for the engine selection, and the defaults selected when the engine is changed.

Ram: $28,890 net price
Ford: $27,420 net price

That's right off the manufacturer's web sites. So $1400 cheaper for the Ford EcoBoost.

Status
Not open for further replies.