Ford F150 Ecoboost vs Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck Brand loyalty is old school. component loyalty is the new way.

Its like building a computer now: price points and chose the components.

Well said, NE. What do you think about the 5.0l Cummins that Nissan (and maybe Toyota) will be using?

Well said, NE. What do you think about the 5.0l Cummins that Nissan (and maybe Toyota) will be using?
Im pretty loyal to an inline diesel engine for durability and ease of repair.
here is the specs that are used in the motor home chassis.
http://cumminsengines.com/isv?#overview

Aluminum heads and compacted graphite iron (CGI) block are red flags for me on a diesel. but in time may turn out to be a real performer.
This was slated for the dodge half ton but with ram truck taking ownership they went for the vm motori as a price point engine, since they had that in the fiat stable. The economy had much to do with this as well. Not a bad economic decision to stay in the price game with gasoline half tons,as pointed out earlier difference is like $1500 to get into the diesel option over the gas on a similar equipped truck.
RV reviews have much more real world experience with the newer cummins and the HPCR fuel system.

Clessie Cummins was a real success story had many hard times, but certainly wasn't shy to get his hands dirty and make his inventions and fabricating skills known.

FYI: http://www.cumminshighmileageclub.com/

Last edited:
Hey d8chumley where do I get my stickers for the fx4
I got them on ebay and I'm trying to remember the name of the guy/store I got them. It escapes me right now, but I'll hit you back if I can find it

Big papa, I found the seller I got them from, but it doesn't look like he has anything for sale currently. Heres the link to his ebay page, maybe contact him? http://www.ebay.com/usr/officialmarks
I'm sure you could get them made if you have a graphics place near you, or contact one of the sticker sellers on ebay and show them what you want. Shouldn't be hard to make I'd guess

Don't be a guinea pig. Give Ram a solid model year to work out any bug's with this new engine.

Don't be a guinea pig. Give Ram a solid model year to work out any bug's with this new engine
I agree with your philosophy. I use the same on new technology also. This engine has been around awhile, so the engine has history that can be researched. How its programed to operate in the ram with a dodge electronic auto transmission would be more of a reservation for me.

I agree with your philosophy. I use the same on new technology also. This engine has been around awhile, so the engine has history that can be researched. How its programed to operate in the ram with a dodge electronic auto transmission would be more of a reservation for me.

I have a friend who's interested in the Ecodiesel so out of curiosity I visited a website dedicated to the new Ecodiesel and many are complaining of check engine lights, and other issue's. Hence my give it a year theory.

I was talking to one of our subcontractors yesterday and his company truck is a new eco-diesel. I asked him about the mileage and he said he gets no better than 25-ish. I told him about that guy claiming to get in the mid 30s or whatever it was and he called BS on that. That's coming from a guy who puts a lot of miles a day on one

When I drive I get, consistently, 3-5 mpg better than my wife in both of our vehicles. Driving habits matter.

When I drive I get, consistently, 3-5 mpg better than my wife in both of our vehicles. Driving habits matter.
My son gets 18-22 mpg with his 2500 cummins. when I drive his truck its more like 25-28mpg based on dash read out.

i work in a dodge dealership and am a diesel and trans technician.we have sold to eco diesel 1/2 tons they are only available in bighorn pkgs at this time.both have been in for oil changes and according to evic display and customer responce is that they are getting 29-31 mpg on average.claims of 31-33 on highway driving.so far no problems with either 1 yet.vm diesels have been around for ever,the problems we will see and have seen since 07 will be emmisions related check engine lights.hard to keep epa diesels soot free especially with trucks people buy and only putt around and do lots of town driving.

i work in a dodge dealership and am a diesel and trans technician.we have sold to eco diesel 1/2 tons they are only available in bighorn pkgs at this time.both have been in for oil changes and according to evic display and customer responce is that they are getting 29-31 mpg on average.claims of 31-33 on highway driving.so far no problems with either 1 yet.vm diesels have been around for ever,the problems we will see and have seen since 07 will be emmisions related check engine lights.hard to keep epa diesels soot free especially with trucks people buy and only putt around and do lots of town driving.
Not sure how the two ecodiesel trucks are getting that mileage when the Edmonds test reflected an average of 22 mpg after a 1 month test drive of the ecodiesel?

Edmunds was once independent. I think now they are slanted to the ones that finance them.

I'm a see it to believe it guy drove every diesel that was made except the brand spankin new ones and I gotta see thirty mpg or I'm surely not gonna believe it and that's where I stand.with out even a test drive I would b willing to put money that it won't average anywhere near 30 mpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
time will tell,and ive seen it on both of those dash displays,doesnt make it gospel but what i have to go off of at this time.

1 thing i can assure everyone of is that all diesel engines produced today are capable of 20 + mpg and if the epa and goverment didnt de tune them so bad to meet emmisions standards we would see that kind of economy in all trucks.trucks with aftermarket tuners get great mileage.05-06 was almost a turning pt for the u.s to start using diesels as much as europe then fuel prices hiked and emmisions clamped down and killed our big diesel push.
in europe almost every chrysler,dodge,jeep vehicle has a diesel engine option.we were so close!

Reactions: NE WOOD BURNER
We all need clean air to breath so don't think the emission thing is going away. I just returned home from an 80 mile trip off work today my ecoboost averaged 21.2 mpg so the diesel gonna have to do better for me to buy one

that is for sure every yr emmisions will get more strict.just stating that this is reason for diesels getting less mpg.
21.2 is good for any truck.diesels arent for everyone,maint & repair is usually higher all the way around on a diesel.
i have no room to talk 21 yrs in a dodge dealership and i drive chevy pickups with gas engines,because of fuel economy and a smooth driving 1/2 ton truck.i average 17.6 in summer there is no gas engine dodge that comes close to that

Back and forth to work I average around 17 mpg on the highway best I've seen 22 wich is the best mileage I've ever got in any truck I've ever driven or owned and it's also the biggest heaviest truck I've ever owned figure that

However if i was in the market for a diesel i would get a 1999-2006 dodge with a 5.9l cummins.other then lift pumps/injection pumps these engines are bullet proof,have seen several with over 600,000 miles of course rest of truck was rebuilt around the engine but still very impressive and easy to work on.
i also work on sprinters with mercedes diesels,these have great longgevity but very expensive to repair /maintain

Reactions: NE WOOD BURNER
Here's the age old problem w diesel it gets great mileage loaded but unloaded not much different mileage the weight of the diesel motor is the problem none of the companies building diesels have been able to tackle this issue at a price the public would pay for.so higher cost of fuel and not really that much better mileage unloaded to offset the cost of owning a diesel.therefore if u r towing or hauling a lot buy a diesel it will save u money if not the gas model will save the most overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.