Forester chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
I am heading to the saw shop today to pick up a few chains for my 025 (they have buy 2 get 1 free where I go) so for my 170 its around $50. Can't remember what it was for the 391 as I bought a few other things, not just the chains. I found this on eBay, and I searched here but didn't have much luck. 5 chains $52 + shipping. So before I go spend $50 on 3 chains I wanted to ask for advice here if anyone had any opinion of this Forester chain?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-16-Ch...530?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54077b4732

Last edited:
One thing to consider is, how many chains do you really need for one saw? Five makes decent sense if you're always going to be sending/taking them somewhere for professional sharpening. I hand-sharpen (until I hit a rock, anyhow) so I'd get two chains and few files instead.

I like to have 3 maybe 4 for each saw. I am "honing" my hand sharpening skills on the 391 w/ 3/8" chain but the 170 and I just sharpened the used one on the 025 with my Harbor Freight grinder/sharpener. I generally throw a sharp chain on when one gets dull and when I put the last sharp one on I do all the dull ones at one shot. There's a lot of shale in the topsoil here and even though I'm careful I still wind up touching the dirt or hitting a rock somehow. I think I will just give my saw shop this chain purchase but for the future, maybe the Forester chains? I am going to have them give the 025 the once-over while I'm there buying stuff for it, maybe they will cut me a break

Off topic, are you a Penguins fan? I'm hoping for a Flyers win again tonight. Flyers/Pens will be a great next-round series :)

Off topic, are you a Penguins fan? I'm hoping for a Flyers win again tonight. Flyers/Pens will be a great next-round series :)

To the extent that I care about professional sports at all, yes. The only time I watch a pro game in any sport is at Thanksgiving or if someone gives me free tickets.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Forester chains are OK. Seems they stretch a bunch on the first tank, and then are OK after that. Some say the angles and rakers aren't real consistent out of the box, but you can true up after the first grinding.

I believe they are made by Carlton?

Reactions: D8Chumley
I just picked up 3 Carlton's at the saw shop. $39, they're $19.50 ea and the 3rd one is free. I paid $50 for my 20" 391 chains. I like to keep the business local when I can. Thanks FirewoodBandit

Some people are bent on Stihl chains and won't buy anything else. I'll admit they probably are the best but when price is factored in, not even close to a good buy.

For example I bought a single loop of 20", 3/8ths 50 gauge Stihl RSK as I wanted to try it before purchasing a roll. The dealer, (real chainsaw shop) wanted $26 but sold it to me for $22 when I balked and said he would go to $20 for 5 or more. The local Hardware Hank now handles Stihl and they wanted $28 for a loop. (roll price when made up into 20" loops is $15.50)

I've bought Forester/Carlton unbranded loops for $7/loop for 16" .325 and under $10 for 20" loops of 3/8ths.

Currently I am spinning Oregon LGX loops and they come out to $9.09/loop.

The point of this diatribe is chain is an expendable item and I keep to the bitter end when I should just pitch them. However with grinders it is easy to keep them going and worn ones cut faster since they pull less kerf. Sure Stihl is real good, but it's not 1.5 to 2.5 times better than Oregon LGX which is very similar to Stihl RSC.

The Forester/Carlton is a very good value when price is factored in.

Wait till next year when Husqvarna starts making saw chain rather than re-badging Blount/Oregon. I am hoping for a teaser rate in order to garner market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.