Forever Flex or Duravent??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
This is a copy of my shopping cart for the Simpson products. I am installing a 13 -NC into a outside wall masonry fireplace. I've had direct connect stoves in there for 20 years. Now I am going with a full insulated liner. If I go with the Forever Flex it is only about $39.00 more. The big item to me is that it includes a fitted top cap for my 8"x13" clay liner that is about 3" higher than the brick cap. With the Dura-vent top cap I will have to customize it to fit. Do you think that is a deal breaker?
Al

Qty SKU Item Name Price Subtotal Delete
4688-O Dura-Vent 6'' DuraLiner Extend-A-Cap Kit (oval 13 x 20) - 4688-O
$101.25 $101.25

4624-OP Dura-Vent 6'' DuraLiner Oval Rigid Pipe 24'' - 4624-OP
$68.15 $68.15

4681-RO Dura-Vent 6'' DuraLiner 30° Stove Connector (round-oval) - 4681-R
$55.38 $55.38

7102-ZC Dura-Vent 6'' DuraLiner Two-Ply Insulation Sleeve - 7102-ZC
$151.31 $151.31

4660-OF Dura-Vent 6'' DuraLiner Oval-To-Oval Flex Pipe 60'' - 4660-OF
$94.54 $94.54

4648-OP Dura-Vent 6'' DuraLiner Oval Rigid Pipe 48'' - 4648-OP
$102.13 $204.26

7 items in cart Subtotal: $674.89
Shipping: $0.00
New Total: $674.89

If getting a cap correctly fitted is going to add to your hassle factor. I'd go with the foreverflex. But if your preference is DuraLiner and you have a good local sheetmetal shop and can give them a drawing, they can make one up for you. I suspect it will cost a bit more than $39.00.

Regardless of liner, don't forget to have the chimney thoroughly cleaned first.

OK. I'm confused. The Duravent is oval insulated rigid liner pipe and the Forever Flex is thin flex liner. If you can get them for that close a price difference there is no contest. Get the Duravent and work out something on the top.

The Forever Flex I would have to ovalize to fit the 8x13" clay liner & then thru the damper area. I just don't know yet if I should cut the clay liner off flush or cut & bend the Duraliner top cap to fit the clay. I do like the fact that the top 10' will have a smooth interior instead of ribs like the Flex. I would think that it will draw better.
Al

Set the top plate on the top of the clay liner square, then scribe it with an awl. Take to local sheet metal shop, have them bend on metal brake about 1/8" past the scribed line all the way around. Won't cost that much.
I did my own with hand brakes. An advantage to my old profession ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.