Forgive Me Father For I Have Scrounged

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Well you guys have done it to me again. I have never scrounged firewood in my life and have always cut my wood off of our place. For a few months now every time I go to town I pass a neighbor's house where a sixty foot White Oak and a fifty or so foot Beech blew down side by side parallel with the road just off the shoulder during a storm this year. Today he was out cutting the grass when I passed by and I pulled in and asked him what he was going to do with the trees. He almost did a back flip asking if I wanted them. Seems the best quote he has gotten was four hundred apiece to cut'em up and haul'em off. I told him the stump and the slash was his problem but when the record breaking heat goes away Thursday I would put on my RoboCop garb and come and make the trunks disappear. It immediately broke into a tour of his yard and pointing out dead trees. One eighty foot plus Oak is in striking distance of the power lines. I will call the power company right of way supervisor and get them to do the honors on that one. I know the guy well because nine hundred feet of his power lines run through my woods to our house. He didn't charge me when I dropped a pine on the lines and knocked the power out for a few blocks one Sunday this summer.

The good thing is that I just pull the Suburban and the 4X8 trailer off the road right beside the neighbor's trees and have at them. I am tempted to use the twenty foot trailer but that would be a real load coming up the hill to the house, 454 or no 454.

Now at the next meeting of Woodburner's Anonymous I will have to stand up and say "My name is BroBart. I am a wood scrounger.".

Nice, and close too. Can't beat that, even if you gotta stoop to scrounging..just call it- curbside recycling- :coolsmile:

njtomatoguy said:
Nice, and close too. Can't beat that, even if you gotta stoop to scrounging..just call it- curbside recycling- :coolsmile:
I know someone who is gona have a sore back. :p

Brotherbart, I don't blame you a bit. I too cut on our own place, but have been known to "clean up" a mess in somebody's yard....especially if it is oak.

budman said:
I know someone who is gona have a sore back. :p

I hope not. I have had a bad back since I was 14. Diving board accident. Every year during wood cutting/lugging time in the spring I have had to walk around bent over and hurting bad. Last year I ponied up $1,400 for a brick hard mattress and laid in ten cords this year with out an ounce of back pain.

Kicking myself for all those years...

Your sins have been forgiven my son, I am guilty also of of scrounging. My little secret is DPW with lift truck keep your eye open they cut all day shred the scrap and pick up the Logs the {Next day} These are easement trees Good stuff, City stuff But hey I get some nice wood, And a few p-ssed off people, Stay calm talk to them let them know this is city easement and I usually walk away with with a nice load.

Lucky scrounge there Bart! I'm like a hawk every day to and from work and haven't scored on anything. Well, OK, one mall truckload at a new home construction but I brought home some crazy stuff I wish I had never found.

Go 'Hoos!

BB that may make more sense that dragging it up that incline on your property and pulling the trailer up next to the wood will be easier too

Its ok son say 3 our fathers and 3 hail mary's and where was that location?

What's wrong with a little practical wisdom. Congratulations and you're helping someone else out in the process. How much better than that can it get! I do exactly the same. I cut only standing and lying dead from the woods around my house and love doing it but I'll never turn down good reasonable opportunities for nice wood!

BrotherBart said:
Well you guys have done it to me again. I have never scrounged firewood in my life and have always cut my wood off of our place.
Oh sure...we made you put that chainsaw in your hand...lol :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Now at the next meeting of Woodburner's Anonymous I will have to stand up and say "My name is BroBart. I am a wood scrounger.".

..."Hi BroBart (everyone 'in stereo')" BBWWWWAGGH! :ahhh:

Come on now...We (fellow wood-burners) know what you are going through...

Free wood? Who can resist when it's only down the street.???

velvetfoot said:
Who's angry, the homeowner or DPW?

...The probably two dozen or so people "flying around the neighborhood in a 'holding pattern'..." Eye-balling the wood going "should I stop and grab some of that wood or keep going???" lol

Bless me BB and the bunch at hearth.com for I have scrounged. It's been several days since my last load but I can't help looking everywhere I go. Just last week I diverted my eye from a gorgeous woman jogging down the road because I spotted a standing dead oak out of the corner of my eye...

Don't you just love it when free wood falls into your lap.....figuratively?

Attachments

• treeImage028.jpg
    treeImage028.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 484
Titan said:
Don't you just love it when free wood falls into your lap.....figuratively?

Really I would have thought to use a dump truck. that tree is definitely too big to get into that trunk.

I think he should really uses some ropes to secure the load

A couple bungee cords oughta hold her down, I think......at least they put some caution tape around the trunk to warn other motorists of the oversized load.

I'm going to have to learn The Art soon. With only 1-1/2 acres, I expect to run through the dead or downed on my property by the middle of next winter. I'm looking at this whole wood-burning enterprise as an excuse to get a pick-up truck.

Well, I've got a truck, but I did use the woodstove as an excuse to get another dog this past weekend.I've had a warmhearth with no sleeping dog on it for over a year.Just fixed that...now there's a 12 week old "Bugg" puppy keepin' his arse warm under the stove-with room to spare.

Titan- not to hijack a thread, but
Pics of pup?
Bugg
Beagle and Pug?

I am a dog lover, couldn't imagine life without a furry friend.

Good luck with the pup.

Bob

njtomatoguy said:
Titan- not to hijack a thread, but
Pics of pup?
Bugg
Beagle and Pug?

I am a dog lover, couldn't imagine life without a furry friend.

Good luck with the pup.

Bob

I'm wondering on the Bugg, too - pics would be great. NJT - I was thinking Bullmastiff and (pug :gulp: ???) That would be like a Block's "mini-me"

But to get back on topic... It's OK, BB.... nothing to be ashamed of - I've "scrounged" a few truck loads myself on occaision - you get some easy heating, and the people you get it from may have no use for it thay may otherwise had to pay someone to get it out of their way - so it's a win-win situation.

Yup, nothing worse than watching great firewood go to waste! Now its got a home where someone appreciates it!

NJ and Harley, I'll take some pics of my new rugrat and post tonight.BTW-1 Boston Terrier+1 Pug=Bugg.There are some funny hybrid dogs available,often with even funnier names.

Share it with a cold neighbor and you will get a stove upgrade in your Mansion in Glory!!

Go In Peace and Seek Out More Wood,

Monk Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.