Forgive me for being stupid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

usefulidi0t

Feb 18, 2024
Kansas
I am running a 3PVL-KHA stove pipe kit on my pellet stove. Beings that most of it will be installed on the interior of my house I am concerned about zinc off gassing. Is this a non-issue? It's double wall 3 inch stove pipe.

I am running a 3PVL-KHA stove pipe kit on my pellet stove. Beings that most of it will be installed on the interior of my house I am concerned about zinc off gassing. Is this a non-issue? It's double wall 3 inch stove pipe.
Yes not an issue because it's double wall. Eve if you had a chimney fire it wouldn't get hot enough

Reactions: usefulidi0t
So then what's the difference between that and black kit? Is it really 200 dollars more for the kit to have it painted black?
@2cans of stove bright black and a day to paint it. That should be pretty close to 200$
OR
You can do it with one can in about 20 minutes or 2 coats with dry time in about 2 hours

You don’t think the galvanized exterior on double pellet stove pipe will off gas toxic fumes? @johneh you can tell I confide in you 😂
Considering zinc doesn't even start to melt until about 700 degrees if you see that on the outside of pellet vent you are going to have much bigger problems than off gassing

Considering zinc doesn't even start to melt until about 700 degrees if you see that on the outside of pellet vent you are going to have much bigger problems than off gassing
Upon further investigation it needs to get up to about 900C (1600F) before zinc oxide smoke shows up. LOL!! I am so ridiculous it's not even funny. @bholler Like my little PP130 is akin to a crematory. Basically my stove pipe needs to melt before it puts off the smoke.

Last edited:
The melting temperature has not much correlation with a materials vapor pressure.

(Example: subliming ice)