Forgive me for I have sinned...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I just brought home a load of maple. And I am going to do it again tomorrow. Me, the oak hardwood snob with 5 cords of oak!!! Who wudda thunk? :lol:

My brother just brought home about 5 cords of poplar and said the same thing followed by.... oh well, f - it, it was free.

Enjoy. I have 3 or 4 cords of maple for the upcoming season. My brother tells me it's good btu's, but leaves more ash the other hardwoods.

Next year I'll be able to talk from personal experience.

I am 39, had a fire in my parents insert since I was 12. It all burns, some wood just needs more trips to fill the stove is all. Last year coming off of knee surgery I had 5.5 ocrds of silver maple. It kept me warm. I usually have oak, ash, elm, or hickory. 3 of those are long burners and its less stacking.... ZBut your brother is right, heat is heat!

Good one! But I have to split it first don't I? :)

I cut, split and stacked two punky Poplars and a pine tree on the stack last week. I can feel cold, but I can't feel shame.

The rule around this house for 30 years has been "If it will burn in the presence of sufficient heat and oxygen, then it will be burned in that stove.".

The only modification has been that since I put the two new EPA stoves in the house trash paper and cardboard goes in the trash bags and not the stoves.

burntime said:
I just brought home a load of maple. And I am going to do it again tomorrow. Me, the oak hardwood snob with 5 cords of oak!!! Who wudda thunk? :lol:

Maple isn't so bad . . . depends on the species. Around here we have quite a bit of sugar maple and red maple which isn't too bad (vs. silver maple -- mostly an ornamental tree here) for BTUs. Also, I don't have any oak on the family property so maple and ash are my trees of choice . . . although I'm not very finnicky about whatever wood I burn as for every wood there is a season (or at least a time in the season to burn that wood) . . . turn, turn, turn. :) ;)

BrotherBart said:
The rule around this house for 30 years has been "If it will burn in the presence of sufficient heat and oxygen, then it will be burned in that stove.".

Amen to that!

Red oak is definately my favorite and I have about a cord of it left to burn this next season. The rest is ash, yellow/white birch, and a bunch of sugar maple.

As FFJ eluded to, maple is a well respected hard wood in our area. Its no oak, but I'll take it any day.

I live right near the "oak line" which is the rough boundary for the farthest north Oak normally grows. Almost all the wood locally is northern hardwood, which is typical maple, beech ash and birch. Almost all the dealers, sell maple or yellow birch with a bit of ash mixed in. Poplar also grows in the area, but no one would normally pay for it as it burns real quick when dry.

When in rome do what the romans do

I'll say it again, I'VE NEVER SEEN A COLD FIRE!

KC

Well 2 big truckloads and a 3/4 turck load. All in all I have split 2 face cords and a little to go. Free is good! So I officially have a start on next years wood!

burntime said:
...and a 3/4 turck load...

How many face cords in a 3/4 turck? Rick

A turck is an international measurement for more than you should but there is still room in the bed :lol:

burntime said:
A turck is an international measurement for more than you should but there is still room in the bed :lol:

If I am backed up to a pile of free wood, I have a hard time not filling every inch of the bed to the top of the sideboards.

I have one extra spring in my truck now. I put in 2 face cords and the rubber bumpers were on the axle, hence why I put in the extra spring. It's a half ton. Haven't tried a large load of wood since then, but it did take a yard of black soil and had 4" to 6" clearance.

What do you guys think of Norway maple? I was given a big tree, now reduced to rounds and awaitng splitting and stacking. Too green for this year. But it's a start on next year. My shed is nearly full, so I will likely build another one or just build some roof extensions on my garage.

However, my main staple will be dried black locust.

relic said:
I have one extra spring in my truck now. I put in 2 face cords and the rubber bumpers were on the axle, hence why I put in the extra spring. It's a half ton. Haven't tried a large load of wood since then, but it did take a yard of black soil and had 4" to 6" clearance.

A 5K or 7K single axle trailer with brakes will save you a lot of wear and tear on your truck. I highly recommend one with a hydraulic cylinder under the bed.

SolarAndWood said:
relic said:

A 5K or 7K single axle trailer with brakes will save you a lot of wear and tear on your truck. I highly recommend one with a hydraulic cylinder under the bed.

I'll be on the lookout for one.

Haven't seen may dump beds around here, though.

I don't think there are many used dumps for sale anywhere. I looked for a long time for one at a price I could justify for my arguably recreational purposes. Even then, I ended up driving to Indianapolis to pick it up. It worked out that I found a 6' finish mower in Louisville that made the trip a little more worthwhile. That was a rough 24 hour drive.

Tfin said:
BrotherBart said:

Amen to that!

Red oak is definately my favorite and I have about a cord of it left to burn this next season. The rest is ash, yellow/white birch, and a bunch of sugar maple.

As FFJ eluded to, maple is a well respected hard wood in our area. Its no oak, but I'll take it any day.

You need to remember that there are different Maples, and they have very different burning characteristics. Sugar Maple is far better then Red Oak. Red Maple is about somewhere between Poplar & White Ash. Silver Maple is decent stuff, a bit better then Red Maple, but I'll take Sugar Maple over Red Oak any day. Start talking White Oak and then it's a closer match 'cept when it comes to splitting... Sugar Maple typically splits like a dream.

My first choice is oak, then hickory, then btus....

JerseyWreckDiver said:
Tfin said:
BrotherBart said:

Amen to that!

You need to remember that there are different Maples, and they have very different burning characteristics. Sugar Maple is far better then Red Oak. Red Maple is about somewhere between Poplar & White Ash. Silver Maple is decent stuff, a bit better then Red Maple, but I'll take Sugar Maple over Red Oak any day. Start talking White Oak and then it's a closer match 'cept when it comes to splitting... Sugar Maple typically splits like a dream.

I guess it depends on where you check. I've seen red oak listed as having 25.3 btu and sugar maple with 25.0 btu, but another site lists red oak and sugar maple as both having 16.8 btu and still another states red oak at 27.3 and sugar maple at 29.0

Either way if I'm given the choice I'll take red oak over sugar maple any day. I just love the way it smells when you split it and when its seasoning. But I'd sure as hell never kick sugar maple out of my stacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.